Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trains - 1st Class? 2nd Class? What's the Dif?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone, please explain the class differences on Italian trains C
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Intrepid

The difference depends, sometimes, on the rolling stock that is in use. Generally, there may be fewer seats per compartment in 1st Class vs. 2nd. Sometimes, but not always, the windows in 2nd Class Italian coaches open whereas in 1st they often do not.
2nd usually fills faster than 1st because it is cheaper and most folks probably don't feel the price difference is worth it. Some will tell you they've ridden on trains in which the 1st Class cars were in better shape, upholstery, seating, etc.-wise than in 2nd. There are usually always more 2nd Class cars on trains than there are 1st Class cars. On some Italian trains one car may be divided into both 1st and 2nd Class sections.
Hope this helps a little.
Oh, and don't let anybody tell you that arrival times are "different" since both classes arrive (and depart)at exactly the same time!

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Troll!!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM
dln

Eve, I see you have those icons down pat! Aren't they fun!

There was an absolutely wonderful thread authored by GAC entitled "Eurostar Italia: Differences between First and Second Class." It explained in great detail what they were. I'm afraid I'm not very good with the computer, so I can't link it for you--maybe if you enter the title exactly in the text search you'll come up with it. Or maybe a techie will come to your rescue!

However, now that I'm talking to you here, what else did you find about the Rome art fairs? I really couldn't come up with much, and we'll be in Rome Sept 5-9. Thanks

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:08 AM

On the Eurostar the difference is not much...they are both nice with reserved seats....I recently returned from italy...The price difference for the other trains is small but worth it..There are far fewer people in the first class cars...Keep in mind that they will continue to sell train tickets...past the number of available seats...you are more assured a seat in first class...you can reserve one...I never did this...because the first class cars were rarely full. Hope that helps. Maggie
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM
dln

Eve, just type GAC in the text search. That works better. It's post #14 in the list.

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:23 AM

GAC's thread is awesome. Here's the link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...searchText=GAC
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM
dln

Crazymina, I wish I were computer smart like you! Is this a cut and paste thing? How do you do it?

Don't worry; if it's too complicated to explain here I'll ask my teenage son. Although just getting that "geez, ma, this is soooo simple..." look is enough to prompt me to ask elsewhere!

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:36 AM

dln, believe me, I am not that internet savvy!

The way I did it was to pull up the thread like you did. Then I put my cursor over it and RIGHT click. Select "copy shortcut".

In the reply, I paste the shortcut (CTRL+V). The shortcut appears, and now fodors allows links, so it does it automatically when I post the reply.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that's what I do!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:38 AM
dln

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM

MizzEve, Crazymina or anybody, please tell me the class differences on American trains or diffrences between European trains and American ones.

Hike from Europe.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

hike ~ I've only ridden trains twice. Once when I was a kid and once when I was 18 y.o. going from Minneapolis to New Jersey. I am sure that I didn't travel 1st class and didn't know that there was a difference. Although I do remember a very "friendly" porter who offered me a sleeping compartment. In fact, he insisted that I take a sleeping compartment although I hadn't paid for one. I accepted his genousity until I realized that he would be sleeping with me! But that's a story for a different board...........
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Hike
If you go to the US Board,post a question about trains,you will get a good variety of reponses.Here,with air travel so easily and inexpensively available,many travellers are totally unaware of the Amtrak system.HTH,S