Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Louvre "Search the Collections" feature - what am I doing wrong?

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am trying to prepare for our upcoming visit to the Louvre by searching the collections. When I use the "Search the Collections" feature and put in Van Gogh just to try it, the result was The Lacemaker (a painting I really want to see, but not by Van Gogh!).

Have tried it multiple times with different painters with same result. Noticed that there is a "sort by: title, date, artist" feature too. Couldn't seem to get it to underline artist, so decided to seek a specific painting by the underlined "title" feature. Picked Battle of Spoleto, which came up in a search result before. I got a whole ream of unrelated works.

Has anyone used this search function successfully? I tried both English and French versions.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 12:32 AM

I am seeing the same problem. I even tried another database.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 02:53 AM

I doubt you'll find Van Gogh at the Louvre as their collection goes from Medieval to 1848 and Van Gogh was born in 1853. Try the Orsay Museum or the Orangerie.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 02:59 AM

It seems to be a really bad search engine at the Louvre, even using the advanced function. If you know the work you want to see use google to access the information from the Louvre site. I put Battle of Spoleto into google and it directed me to the Louvre site.

http://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/battle-spoleto
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, adrienne and sparkchaser. Glad to see it wasn't just me.

Yes, will check out Van Gogh at Orsay or Orangerie...thought there was probably at least one at the Louvre, though, to test the search. I even tried artists like Titian with same result.

I mainly wanted to "browse" some of the works rather than looking for specific paintings, to see what floors might work best.

Thanks to both of you.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM

The Louvre has a few Van Gough drawings/sketches that may or may not be displayed. adrienne's advice is correct that there is a pretty distinct cutoff in paintings (1848) between the Louvre and Musée d'Orsay. Hence why you aren't going to find Van Gough's at the Louvre.