Visiting the Louvre

Search

Visiting the Louvre

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting the Louvre

Me- a first-timer to Paris this April for a week, wanting to include a visit to the Louvre among the many things I wish to behold in the city.

You - a native Parisian, francophile, or just someone who loves the Louvre who could offer me some insight into your favorite, not-to-be-missed parts of the museum.

I would like to devote 1/2 to 3/4 of a day for this visit.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
aggiemom

Go to the Louvre website, www.louvre.fr and you can see the whole layout, what's on exhibition temporarily, permanent collections, etc. Very valuable in planning a shorter visit because there is so much to see. You'll know ahead of time where you want to go.

There are also signs at the Louvre showing where the more famous things are: The Mona Lisa (La Jaconde in French), Winged Victory, Wedding at Cana, etc.

Enjoy yourself!

mom

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Get a museum carte in Paris which I believe you can get at any metro station. It gives you access to about 70 museums and galleries and lets you go to the head of the queue. This is great at the Louvre as you get your own special entrance so don't have to queue around the block. Get there first thing and if you are keen to see it, go directly to the Mona Lisa so you don't have to queue there either. Then you can relax and wander at leisure!

Don't miss Musee d'Orsay. I think it's better than the Louvre with wall to wall Monet's and Degas'.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Try this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34497175

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Well, to recommend what parts of the museum you should visit, one would need to know what kind of art you like. The museum is HUGE so in half a day you would not be seeing anywhere close to all of it.

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Aggiemom and luckykat,thanks for the advice on the website and museum carte - I do plan on purchasing the carte and on researching the Louvre website. Laverendrye, that was a useful thread - I had been doing searches on fodor's for something like that. But to all - i guess I'm just wondering what parts of the museum YOU thought should not be missed....I would really like to get a feel for that. Thanks, again.

You may want to join up with one of the English speaking Museum Highlights tours. Get a good overview of the musuem and then spend more time on your own in the areas you liked best.

See the Musee d'Orsay first.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Cato - why do you recommend seeing the Orsay first?
Grantop - That might not be a bad idea. Did you take that tour?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I think the Musee d'Orsay has a great collection that is well laid out and easy to view. Use it as a warm up for the Louvre.

Going to the Louvre first puts you at risk of getting all your energy zapped, and result in you not going to the d'Orsay.

You might try going to the Louvre two times, in say 1 to 1.5 hour bites of time and maybe go one evening when they stay open late.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM

We were planning a trip to the Louvre, too, and we were thinking of doing an audio tour or a guided audio tour. They last about and hour and a half, according to the website. Since no one in our family is an art expert, I thought we'd get more out of the experience.
Does anyone who's done either before recommend them?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I agree with the idea of the Highlights tour, it is offered in English usually a couple of times each day. Arrive at the Louvre in advance and book the tour.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Well, I have an irrational obsession with Greek vases and my work revolves around antiquities, so I spend most of my Louvre time in the Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Near Eastern galleries, but that's me. ;-)

If I had only half a day in the Louvre and was a first timer to Paris with no particular time period/culture of art in mind, I'd probably focus on French painting, then head to d'Orsay to continue the chronological study. The painting galleries in general are wonderful: nice collection of Netherlandish, Flemish, and Italian ptngs as well as French.

IMPORTANT: Not all the Louvre galleries are open every day. They rotate them because of staff shortages. The schedule is posted on their website. if there is something particular you wish to see, make sure the gallery will be open on that day. The list gives gallery numbers, but you can check those against the interactive floor plans on the site and see what's in those rooms. Obviously the most popular things like the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Victoire de Samothrace are open every day, but some of the painting galleries, Egyptian galleries, NE galleries, decorative art galleries, Greek galleries, etc are not.

I believe that in April the big Ingres exhibition will be up. That'd be worth seeing! I think the special exhibitions cost extra on top of the price of a permanent collection ticket. I don't know if you have to book in advance for a special exhibition ticket or not; it'd say on the website.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Oh and btw, I wouldn't go to the Louvre and the Orsay on the same day. For most people that would be serious art overload.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice, Dejavu. I love ALL kinds of art, am sweet on Impressionists but I think I can see more of that genre during my visit to the Orsay and the Monet museum (forget name). I will research and consider the Highlights tour, Shalott - hadn't considered that before these posts.
You're right, Dejavu - always watch out for museum overload!!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Musee de l'Orangerie -- if you mean the one with the Waterlilies. Not far from the Louvre, actually. It's a nice museum, not very big. Monet's famous "Impressionunrise" is housed in the Musee Marmatton, but that's a little off the beaten path (I haven't made it there yet).

I like the Musee Rodin very much, myself.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Ah! Where'd that funky face come from??? I was trying to say "Impression: Sunrise" !!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM

DejaVu, I'm like you... love the Roman and Egyptian rooms! Also, for me one of the most spectacular and interesting thing about the Louvre are the rooms and the building itself. Don't forget to take in where you are. And think about its history.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

DejaVu, LOL!!

Thanks for sharing your favorites, Catbert.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I agree with Catbert; my favorite thing about the Louvre is the building itself.
I enjoyed watching people take in the Mona Lisa.
It is overwhelming to try to see any good sized museum in one visit in my IMHO. I go to our local Art Institute at least 2x a year to visit "old friends" (fav pieces) and see what is new. Just go to the Louvre to stroll and soak up the experience and see 1-10 things that either you search for or happen upon. Trying to see it all will only exhaust and frustrate you. The Orsay, on the other hand, is very approachable! I think making it an enjoyable day is the main priority! Have Fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -