Lost Luggage - What Happens and When

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

While it may be a little early in the process, I was wondering what experiences others have had with lost luggage.

We flew American Airlines yesterday from Brussels to New York and then on to Miami.

Since we cleared customs in New York we know that my wife's suitcase made it there. We then placed my suitcase and hers on the x-ray security belt, saw it go through and moved on.

My suitcase arrived in Miami with us but hers did not.

We filled in the appropriate forms at the baggage service counter together with about a dozen other people.

Early this evening we received a phone call from American informing us that the suitcase had not as yet been located.

At what point would it be declared "lost" and what is the claims process like?

Although we don't usually purchase any kind of insurance, I got spooked by the possibility that Czech authorities would ask to see our proof of emergency medical/repatriation insurance. I purchased the insurance. I noticed that this insurance also appears to provide for $2,500. in baggage insurance.

Any experiences?

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I report it lost when everyone else has left the luggage belt and you are left standing.

I've had lost luggage twice. Both times I notified NW Airlines where I would be staying and my luggage arrived before morning or in the early morning.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM
rex

I think the question is about when luggage is declared (or &quot;declarable&quot as <u>lost</u>, as opposed to &quot;not (yet) located&quot;. In this case, with only a NYC-MIA segment to cover, I would file for replacement of its contents within 24 hours.

My father-in-law was a victim of a lost suitcase some years ago, and I think that 24 hours was the standard used in that case.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, about midnight (about 30 hours after we arrived), I received a phone call either from MIA or AA. Not sure which.

They told me they had our luggage and if we wanted them to deliver tonight it would get to us within 2 hours (2 AM). I said fine.

I was told a husband and wife were delivering found luggage and they would be bring it.

About 2AM they arrived with a car piled full of suitcases.

After they gave me the suitcase and I thanked them, the woman asked if I was going to tip her. I asked her if she was serious.

She told me (true or not) that she's paid for the gas and works for tips.

Now that's some nerve!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM

She is paid to deliver luggage. The airlines contract out this service to folks with no more professionalism then an ant, but....

I suggest you call AA and tell them about this incident.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a retired friend that delivers luggage part time. He is paid, but I'm not sure if he works for the airport or a particular airline.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I sure would call AA about the delivery person. Even if her story is true, which I doubt, you are under no obligation to tip anyone if you don't feel like it!

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; you are under no obligation to tip anyone if you don't feel like it! &gt;&gt;

Oy! Where is this position when there are threads on &quot;how much are you supposed to tip?&quot;

Employers, even those who hire independent contractors for positions that might be employees - - who &quot;count on&quot; tips by the customer to provide... a) an appropriate wage, b) employee evaluation and c) incentives to recruit and retain good staff... are to blame here.

If we're going to fault any airline for delivery personnel who &quot;expect&quot; tips, then let's tar all resataurant owners, innkeepers, taxi operators and the like... with the same brush.

Glad you got your suitcase back. I think it was a really lousy experience for my father-in-law to not get back some items he considered (somewhat) irreplaceable.