Looking for Hotels in Florence & Venice

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Jack

Looking for Hotels in Florence & Venice

My wife and I are splitting two weeks between Florence and Venice in January. Any hotel suggestions less then 100 euros per night?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Bob

We were very pleased with the AL GANBERO HOTEL on Calle dei Fabbri in Venice in 1999.

The rooms had been recently remodeled. They were small but had room safes and new bathroom fixtures along with the nice room itself. Breakfast was included.

The hotel is located about half way between Rialto Bridge and St Marks. You get off the Rialto stop on the vaparetto stop. Nice hotel and we would use it again. Probably in your price range.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Bob

Sorry....type above. The hotel is the AL GAMBERO....with an M not an N.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:45 PM
deb

Jack -
We just did this trip. It was fabulous. My suggestion, if you have not done so already is to buy the Karen Brown guides for Italy. They are fabulous! Get both the Inns and the B&B book. Also, the people on this board are FABULOUS!

We stayed at Hotel Galleria in Venice. Teh breakfast was amazing and delivered to your door. When you awaken, you can smell the fresh, fruit filled croissants baking. The staff is excellent and it has a great location. We would stay there again and it was our honeymoon. We have great taste, can I say that? Trust me on this.

Florence, we did the Hotel Casci. It was rec'd by people here and is not in Karen Brown. I thought it was OK and just OK. Clean, great location, nice people, but I thought it bugged for 2 reasons....they would not let me bring my coffee to my room, or my breakfast. And, it had ZERO charm. We like charm. It looks like a dorm room inside the rooms, but they are spacious and clean. May be good for you. I need a little more umph! The Hotel Galleria in Venice has it. Our room was so mall there but we did not care at all. The place was great. You are not really in the room that much. They suggested we eat at Trattoria San Travosa. Skip it. Not terrific.

Do you have time to go to San Gimignano? The best meal and hotel room, warmth, charm, luxury and place is the Hotel La Cisterna. MUST!!!! Please go here and ask fro room 58. trust me. It is spectacular. Eat there, too. Fabulous. You will love it. Have a great time and good luck.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Marj

I am a fan of hotel casci in florence. I agree that the room lacks charm, in fact, it's quite generic. But the family that runs it are so warm and friendly that they give the atmosphere lots of charm. Also the breakfast room has a lovely fresco on the ceiling. Another similar hotel I've read about (but haven't stayed) is Hotel Europa.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Robert

Have been to Venice three times.Have never stayed at the hotel galleria but am planning to on my next trip based on their website and recommendations.
www.hotelgalleria.it can select language
on the dropdown menu(scegli la tua lingua)

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Ben

www.venere.it

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:37 PM
ami

Hotel Silla
Florence, Italy
Fax: 011-39-55-234-14-37

Hotel Albergo Campiello
Venice, Italy
Fax: 011-39-41-520-57-98

We stayted at these two hotels. I don't remember rates, but we are usually ;ucky with inexpensive, yet good hotels. At the time (maybe still today) the Silla was in the "Charming Hotels" book by Karen Brown.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:45 PM
brah

Deb:
I have made reservations for La Cisterna in San G, so I was thrilled to read such an enthusiastic recommendation for that hotel. We are staying four nights and need to "eat around" the town. are there any places in particular that you would recommend? And what about the hotel restaurant?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Furio

Venice: Locanda Leon Bianco. Book a room with a Grand Canal view. It is a great hotel in every way.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 05:00 PM
Rob

My recommendations are :

Florence = Fenice Palace

Venice = Splendid Suisse

Both are great Hotels & well located

Rob