Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for GREAT restaurant recommendations for Sorrento and Positano.

Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Traveling to the Amalfi coast towards the end of October. I'm looking for really fabulous restaurants with great atmosphere and a truly memorable experience. We will be staying in Sorrento for 4 nights and Positano for 3. We will have a car during our stay.

Can you help me out?

Thanks!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

I love Dona Rosa, in the hills above positano (montepertuso, I believe). The restaurant is in fodors rants and raves section too I think.

We ate there twice. It was really lovely food. I recommend reservations.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

bump
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM

I'd like to second the suggestion for Donna Rosa. It is in Montepertuso, we had a car and drove. Next time we'll use a cab. The drive back after vino is a bit much.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM

Some of my favorites from a recent trip to Positano are Il Ritrovo, which is in Montepertuso a small town in the hills above Positano and Il Mediterraneo(sp?), which had the best stuffed zucchini flowers - I can still taste them!
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:29 AM

I've reviewed a few on the Restaurant section of this site for Sorrento.
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:26 AM

You have to make a visit to the Ristorante San Giovanni near Ravello in the small village of Pontone.WWW.ristorantesangiovanni.com
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:35 AM

I was at Positano for a week in July -

I agree with the reccomendations of Donna Rosa and Il Ritrovo above Positano....great drive!

Donna Rosa is more formal without a view. Il Ritrovo is more rustic/local with great views and open fire grilled meats. Go up about an hour before sunset and view Positano from above and see the sun go down and the lights go on!

In Positano Restaurant Max is wonderful (right in town) and also La Tagallta on the beach (all the way to the left facing the sea) has great water views. In Sorrento the best place is Il Buca, it's in a old fortress and the dining room has stone vaulted ceiling with wonderful service and the food...ahhh!

Have a great trip,

John
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:01 PM

A great restaurant in Sorrento is Caruso's. Especially if you have a special occasion of any sort as they like to make a big fuss. Incredible wine list and service. Outstanding food. Truly memorable. Man, I wish I could go there tonite!
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Positano:
Ristorante La Cambusa
Piazza A. Vespucci, 24
Down at the waterfront
Phone: 089 812 051

I was here with my mother and some cruisemates (May 2003) and had an excellent lunch. Their pasta with white clam sauce was fabulous, along with the water views. The restaurant is down on the waterfront and quite enjoyable.

Monica
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:00 PM

We just returned from Italy and enjoyed La Sponda at Le Sirinuse. A wonderful meal and weather permitting outside on the terrace.
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Dona Rosa & Il Ritrovo absolutely divine. At Il Ritrovo try the pasta with porcini wine sauce and the redfish with tomatoes, capers and olives - indescribably delicious. We thought Max's was only so-so.

Have to say though that one of the best meals was an impromptu picnic on the beach. We stopped in at The Delikatessen on the main footpath in Positano and picked up an assortment of anti-pasti (sundried tomatoes, grilled, marinated zucchini & eggplant, tomatoes & mozzarella drizzled with olive oil), a bottle of wine and some bread and headed down to the beach. Faaabulous!!!
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:52 PM

I second Caruso's. The crab ravioli will melt in your mouth. Be sure to check out all the photos and memorablia on the walls.
Oct 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Positano -
da Vicenzo - via Pasitea
da Costantino - Montepertuso - they will send van to pick you up at hotel

Sorrento -
La Fenice - via Arancia

All three are affordable and memorable.