Looking for advice: One week side trip from a course: finishing in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I are Canadian university students traveling to the Netherlands for a course in European urban planning. As of the 31st of August, the course is finished: we were able to negotiate and get our return flight out of Rome on the 8th of September.

Our original plan was to fly on the 31st to Istanbul from Amsterdam; spend 3 days there, then fly Istanbul to Rome on the 4th and spend 3 days in Rome before returning on the 8th to Canada for work and classes.

Because of the aggression starting to flare up between Syria and Turkey, I'm looking for alternative ideas from all of you. I've been told by many people that we should try and focus on just one or two cities for that extra week - so I'm looking for a +1 to Rome, or more if they're feasible.

Neither of us are particularly experienced travellers; my partner has never been to Europe, while I've only been once briefly as part of a conference. I'm a classical history nerd, while she's mostly just interested in general sightseeing. If there are any urban planners in the crowd, we're both studying as planners, so places of interest would be awesome to hear about!

We're also VERY interested in coastal and southern European destinations. Places we're considering besides Turkey include: Split, Barcelona, Cinque Terre (and possibly Florence), or visiting a distant relative of mine off the coast of Greece (not sure the island, sorry!)

Our budget is limited, as we are students: but since it's only a few days and we've already paid for flights to Europe, local flights and accommodations are definitely manageable.

Advice anyone?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I guess another question would be whether people think that it will be safe to visit Istanbul in early September: it's hard to tell based on the news what's actually happening. Any Turkish members?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM

I'm not Turkish, but know that Istanbul is a long way from the Syrian border. Why are you worried?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM

"it's hard to tell based on the news what's actually happening."
True. So how are you, or anyone else, going to predict what will happen in September? That is two months away.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM

"I'm a classical history nerd,"

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lking-tour.cfm

This might interest you then, poorly written and rambles on but *very* accurate .

Scroll down to the March 1, 2012, two posts condense it down to the must see sites for this walk.

Also consider a daytrip to Pompeii for your urban planning sites, it's a complete 1C Roman walled and gated city like a mini-Rome.

Also I think your concern is justified seeing that you would book your flights and make your plans in advance.
But see how it goes, if tensions are still running high when you *must* your book flights you can decide then.
Regards, Walter
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM

<i>Any Turkish members?</i>

You have not tagged this post for Turkey, and that is why you aren't getting any response from Turks.

Turkey is a member of NATO, and has a very strong defence force. Istanbul is at the opposite end of Turkey from Syria, about 500 miles. Have a look at the Canadian foreign affairs website to see if there are nay travel warnings for Turkey: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa....asp?id=300000
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Victor - in no way am I going to try to dissuade you from going to Istanbul in September, except to say this you might find it quite hot, but as you have this opportunity to go to Italy, and don't come to europe very often, the obvious choice to me seems to be Venice.

3 days there, then get the train [another new experience] to Rome, finish you trip there, fly home.

leave turkey til another time when you have longer to devote to it.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Istanbul in September is not hot....
The average temperature is 20 C, and the average high 23C, which is actually very pleasant
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Istanbul and Rome is quite, quite enough for 8 days. Both ideally warrant a full week each, but 4 nights in each will be a perfect end to your time in Europe. They are THE top two destinations for "classical history nerds".
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I thought I had tagged this with Turkey but I must have messed that up - first time posting!

I'll talk to my girlfriend again - it sounds like people generally think that Turkey should be safe. Any advice on when to buy tickets/book accomodations? We're thinking we should do that ASAP, especially for Rome, but we're not sure.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM

This trip is less than 2 months.

YES! - book tickets and accommodations ASAP.