CAPADOCCIA OR EPHESEUS

Search

CAPADOCCIA OR EPHESEUS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAPADOCCIA OR EPHESEUS

IF WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO CAPdoccia or epheseus,which one should we go to.any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:56 AM

We had to choose in our Turkey trip a couple of years ago. We are history buffs, and loved the idea that Ephesus still exists after thousands of years. We were not disappointed; both my husband and I consider our visit to Ephesus to be one of our all-time favorite experiences.
I am sure that Cappadoccia offers unique geographic, geologic, and historic perspective also, but we did not have time to do both.
Barb
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM

This is one of the most asked questions here and believe me its difficult to justify and say one over another. If time enough using direct flights trying to do both is rewarding.......One is for its unique landscape and early christian history and winding down and other is for purely history & religion, ancient Greek & Rome and beyond. Dates back to Neolitic age 6000 BC.

You will love seing both...Happy travelling

Murat
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM

I had to decide this, and I chose Cappadocia. How long is your trip overall? Did you check all of the Turkish airlines, as fares and schedules may help you decide.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM

How into ruins are you? We like history and some ruins, but IMO Cappadocia is a hands down winner. We chose to go there over Ephesus, and it was our favorite part of our trip to Turkey. I think I can put it in perspective too because 6 months after outr Turkey trip we visited Rome and saw the Colosseum and Forum. They were interesting and I am glad I saw them, but they are still just old rocks. Cappadocia is more than just the terrain; it is also the unique lifestyle of many people there. It also provides an active vacation opportunity if you are at all interested in that type of travel.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Bit of a difference between the two. Cappadocia is a region while Ephesus is a ancient city. You could see Ephesus in a full day, Cappadocia would take several.

I did both, would have liked to spend more time in Cappadocia.

We stayed in Goreme and saw the sights in that area, then went to an underground 'city' and a valley hike to see ancient cave churches as we were on our way South.

Ephesus we only had time to see the ancient city and not the others in the area (Virgin Mary, St John's). Definite visit.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM

This is difficult and if there is any way, I would try to do both. We spent over a week in both and could have spent more time.

If you are going to Istanbul, I would cut out time there as these two are more important and better.

You can see a lot of Istanbul in a day or two as most of the key sites are all in one area. Then fly to both if you possibly can. I would hate to go to Turkey and miss either one.

We spent over a month in Turkey last summer if you want to look at the archives of our blog:

http://www.soultravelers3.com

Good luck! Turkey is a wonderful country with the best hospitality in the world and nice to savor in the more rural areas.