looking for a B&Bs

Sep 8th, 1999, 03:43 PM
Cindy

looking for a B&Bs

My husband and I are leaving for Ireland in Mid Septmeber for two weeks. We plan on staying in Doolin, Dublin, Galway, Kenmare, Wesport, Kinsale. We have secured places in Dublin and Kinsale but would love any suggestions for B&Bs in the other locations. Finding accomodations within walking distance to Galway city seems to be my biggest problem. Seems like they are having an oyster festival and all the B&B's I have called are full! I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Sep 9th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Linda

Well, I swear by Karen Brown's books. I went into her website but she has no listings for Galway. If it was me, I'd spend a few pounds and call a few hotels over there and see if they can recommend a place. If they're fully booked, then they are usually more than happy to try and help you find other accomodations. This worked for me in the Loire Valley and York. Another alternative is to head to Barnes & Noble and see what the latest Bed & Breakfast guides have to offer. I wish you well and I wish I was going also.

Sep 9th, 1999, 05:38 PM
Gina

In Doolin, I highly recommend the Sea View House, on Fisher Street, run by Darra Hughes and her husband. Their # is 065-74826. Wonderful location and lovely and gracious hosts. If the weather warrants it, there's always a warm and inviting turf fire in the family room. We originally found this place on the Web but now I can't seem to find where we located it--anyway, I highly recommend it.

We didn't stay in Galway proper, but a bit west of town, on the coast road in Spiddal (on the way to Rossaveal, where ferries leave for the Aran Islands), nicely convenient to both Connemara and Galway. This was also the Sea View, run by Elizabeth Hoffman, it's *not* listed on the Web and we just decided it looked nice. If you're driving west from Galway on the Connemara coast road, it's on your left, before you actually hit the wide spot in the road that's the village of Spiddal. Probably 10-15 miles west of Galway and a similar distance east of Spiddal. It's got a rather killer driveway into the small parking area--by this feature shall ye know it--but it's worth it. Lovely place, Mrs. Hoffman and her husband (German retirees) are incredibly nice, and a number of the rooms have balconies with beautiful views of Galway Bay. (And you can't beat the satellite TV in the family room with "Jag" dubbed in German.) Elizabeth can't be listed with the Irish Tourist Board because they don't have enough rooms to qualify, so they don't get as much business as slightly larger places--but by all means, stay there and tell her the two American girls who were there in February say hello.

I'm trying to remember what these places cost per night, and I think it was probably around 18 Irish punts or $30 per person, if not less. Of course, this was in the off season.

Have a wonderful time! I'm jealous--I'd love to go back to Ireland...

Sep 9th, 1999, 06:45 PM
leechase

Hi Cindy,
We stayed at a wonderful B&B situated 1 km from Kenmare overlooking the bay and CARA Mountains. It was called Tara Farms, signposted off both N70 and N71 routes. tel 064 41272 run by Ann Maybury. All rooms are ensuite and we truly enjoyed our stay there. The grandfather was very helpfull in telling us about local sites. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Lee

Sep 10th, 1999, 04:29 AM
elaine

Cindy,

I may be able to help with accomodation in Galway. Linda is correct, as I love Karen Brown's recommendations. There is a wonderful b&b [really a manor house], located approx. 6 1/2 kilometers from downtown Galway - Killeen House, located in Busypark. We stayed there last August, and it was by far our favorite accomodation of our trip. Price in '98 was $110/couple/night[US], including full breakfast. Killeen House has 5 ensuite rooms, all immaculate, and impecably decorated. The hostess, Catherine Doyle, is most kind. Telephone: (091) 574179
There is also a brief write up on Karen Brown's website.
Hope this helps.

Sep 10th, 1999, 02:04 PM
Bill McCarty

We stayed at a great B&B in Kenmare called the Druid Cottage. It was a little stone house with a nice conservatory for breakfast. If you stay there, request the Pine room in the back. It's the nicest. The house is not too far from Kenmare city centre, and the owner is wonderful. The vital info is: Mrs Bernadette Goldrick
Druid Cottage, Sneem Road, Kenmare Co Kerry. Tel- 064 41803.

PS If you stay there, I left my "This Old House" hat. I believe we're both in the Boston Area. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

PPS The Traditional Irish Music Pub Crawl that starts at Oliver St. John Gogharty's in Dublin is great fun.

Sep 12th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Marcia

Kenmare - Were there in June. Stayed at Shelburne Lodge. 5 min. walk to town if that. Nicest accomodation our entire trip. Beds are the most comfortable of all we slept in and the bathrooms were beautiful. (we were in Ireland for 2 weeks). Shelburne is listed in karen browns book and at [email protected]. Paid 70 lbs. for the room total. Phone Tom Foley at 644-1013.

Sep 14th, 1999, 10:32 AM
christy

The Southern Hills Guesthouse in Salthill (3 minutes drive to Galway) is nice...on the main road. 3rd floor rooms have balcony overlooking golfcourse & bay (IR30/pp). A little farther up (5 minutes to town) is the Connemara Coast Hotel, a 4-star hotel with rooms overlooking the water (you can hear waves crashing as you sleep). Has pool, restaurant/bar..gorgeous. A little more pricey but if you stay 2 or more days they can do a "package w/dinner & b-fasts" that makes it just slightly more than a b&b. Let me know if you need any more info. Enjoy!

Nov 18th, 1999, 02:04 PM
christine

We stayed at the Petra House on College Road in Galway. It was a 5 minute (if that) walk to Eyre Square. It was a beautiful house and the hosts were wonderful. College Road is lined with B&B's.

In Westport, we stayed at McCarthy's B&B. It was nice, clean and the rooms were huge. It is owned by the adjacent pub and is in the center of town.
We loved Westport. It was hands down everyone's favorite stop on our trip.

Mar 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM

A nice place to stay in doolin is the Roadford House B & B and Restaurant (roadfordrestaurant.com) . Your hosts and owners, Marian and Frank Sheedy are just wonderful. It's very close to McGann's and McDermott's pubs, so you can walk. If you are looking for a self-catering cottage, Marian & Frank offer their Fuschia Cottage in Doolin with fantastic views of the Cliff of Moher, the Aran Islands and a bit of the Burren. It's a piece of heaven on earth.
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Barry, what's up? This post is from 1999....
Mar 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM

allisonm,

Talk about not paying attention...no harm done, though. Roadford House is still a great place to stay.
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM

We loved Adare House in Westport. www.adarehouse.net.