Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for 4 star boutique hotel on left bank

Jul 6th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Val

This will be my 5th trip to Paris and I'd like to stay on the left bank for the first time. Prior to this I've stayed on the right bank in some really nice hotels. I'm having a very hard time finding a nice 4 star boutique hotel on the left bank that is consistantly recommended.

So.......can someone recommend a hotel on the left bank in the 5th, 6th or 7th districts that is similiar in size and quality to The Lancaster on the right bank?

Jul 6th, 2002, 09:26 AM
andi

Haven't stayed at either one, but checked out both the Relais Christine and the Montalembert on recent visit. Both are highly touted, really lovely and well-located. I'm pretty sure Relais Christine is in the 6th, the Montalembert might not be but it's close.

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Sherri Kardell

Hi Val;
that's a tall order; the Lancaster is the best hotel I have ever stayed at in paris bar none.
The previous post is correct the Relais Christine is in the 6th it's pretty; but a lttle too flowery for my taste.I would discribe it as romantic.The Montalembert is touted as one of the best 4 stars on the left bank.You can view it by logging onto parisby.com unser 4 star hotels or by arrondissement.
I stayed at the Hotel Duc saint Simon ; in the 7th on my last visit to Paris you may like it; (though it does campare to the Lancaster).It is a good choice though; it's very elegent with a small garden.I read in Frommers that it's the olnly hotel to rival the Montalembert.
You could also check out La Villa in the 6th modern and chic.I have info. on these hotels email if you want.
Happy trails..Sherri

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Val

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The Fodors website has been famous for having negative comments made about the Relais Christine. A while back that would have been a no-brainer but I don't think I want to take the chance. It sounds like the rooms are very varied. Again, this is just based on the many comments I've read here and not from personal experience.

Sherri, I love the website parisby.com. Thanks for pointing me to it.

I looked at the Montalembert but it's not what I would call charming. Yes, it has received some great reviews but it's a bit too modern which has a cold feel to me.

Any other ideas?

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Sherri Kardell

Val;
I wish there was a website for the Duc de Saint-Simon( if anyone knows of one please post it ).I do have 2 other suggestions; but I am not sure if they are on the left bank; you might one to check them out anyway.
Hotel de Vigny(a friend of mine stayed there and loved it)www.karenbrowm.com or the San Regis you can also see on KarenB. and parisby.com
I think they are in the 8th though.
If you can get into the Lancaster I would stay there in a minute; you can not do better.
Good luck
p.s. you will not like the la Villa if you do not like modern

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Sherri Kardell

Val;
sorry (typo) it's karenbrown.com

Jul 6th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Val

Sherri,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've already received a quote from the Lancaster and yes, I am tempted to just book it.

I wish I could find something on the left bank for a change! I've never stayed outside the 8th & 16th districts so I'm trying really hard to find something.

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Sherri Kardell

Val;
when is your trip? I have the fax#(01) 45 4868 25 and ph# (01) 44 39 28 20 for the Duc de Saint Simon in the 7th; if you have time you could have them send you a hotel broucher; also read the review in the 2002 Frommer's Paris it was very positive.I did enjoy my stay there ; but if you're looking to compare it to the Lancaster;it won't.
Viva La France

Jul 6th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Sandy

Definately stay on the Left BAnk. Try Le Buci, great boutique hotel in walking distance to San Germaine and the Odean Metro. Walking distance to Notre Dame and the Louvre. Also convenient to St. Michael area. We stayed down the street at three star Hotel l Regent on rue Dauphine. Walked to everything and street just lined with cafes and boutiques. The best area in Paris.

Jul 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Al

Val;I think Sandy;is refering to the hotel de Buci( not to be confused with the Buci Latin) at 22 rue de Buci.
Just one note it sounds like your budget would allow for their suite;I would requst it and ask for a quite room.There is a nice couryard; lovely breakfast;one of the best I've had in Paris;and the location can not be beat.
I think I saw it on the web site mentioned above parisby.com
Al

Jul 6th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Rebecca

Val;the de Buci; has received some very positive reviews on this site.Go to Fodors then punch hotels and then Paris.
Rebecca

Jul 6th, 2002, 04:34 PM
jas

My vote is for L'Hotel--eclectic and charming.

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:07 PM
sylvie

If you are still looking. It's a sister hotel to Millesime which get good reviews. No availabilty on my dates so I booked elsewhere.

www.hoteldaubusson.com