Hotel Recommendations in the 5th or 6th

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments on the following hotels? Any other recommendations?

1) Hotel des Grandes Ecoles 75 Rue Cardinal Lemoine. (5th)
2) Hotel D'Angleterre 44 Rue Jacob (6th)
3) Hotel de Fleurie 32 Rue de Gregoire de Tours (6th)
4) Villa Luxembourg 121 Blvd. Du Montparnasse (6th)
5) Hotel Lutetia 45 Blvd. Raspail (6th)

Thanks in advance.
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Hi Tommy!
First thing, type the name of the hotel into the search box and see all the posts on these hotels..that will give you some idea of what has already been said. Then go to www.hotel-dangleterre.com for the D'Angleterres new website.
I have stayed there and love it.
Hope this helps, have fun!
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:10 AM
jay

try the excelsior in the 5th. www.excelsiorlatin.com
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:12 AM

The Lutetia is in a different league from the other hotels you list; it's the only "luxury" hotel on the left bank. I've heard a number of people say that you have to be very careful about the rooms; some are very small, others are in a bad location.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Hotel de Fleurie is an excellent hotel in a very good location. Friends of mine recently returned from their third visit there just this year (!) and now swear they'll never stay anywhere else!
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Hotel De Fluerie is a great hotel. Good location and the room we had was large. It was a superior deluxe, I think. We faced the street and a couple of times we heard noise in the middle of the night. However, the noise didn't bother us.

We didn't eat breakfast there so can't comment. I will stay there again when I return to Paris.

Gail
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM

I stayed at the Lutetia last year. It is a large hotel, by Paris standards, and certainly for the left bank. I agree with the comment about the rooms. The first room we were given was not much larger than the king-sized bed that occupied it. We went back to the desk and politely complained, and were given a "junior suite" -- king bed, sitting area with loveseat and chairs, two bathrooms -- that was quite pleasant although it did have an interior courtyard view. The hotel has plenty of amenities -- restaurant, bar -- but it is pricy. We paid 320 euros per night, I believe, for this double room.

However, it was in a great location, and I was on an expense account at the time, so I was able to enjoy luxury that I would not normally pay for!

Good luck!
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Have'nt stayed there but my friends stayed at Hotel de Fleurie and loved it. The rates are good too. Enjoy lovely Paris!
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM
ita

although I don't know the other hotels, I always stay at des Grandes Ecoles and love it. Just remember to ask for a room in the garden building as I understand the main building may not have as good accomodation. You have to book very far ahead as it is a popular spot.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Take a look at the Sainte-Beuve, nicely located near the Luxembourg Gardens.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Underhill, you always give excellent hotel recommendations. Regarding the Sainte Beuve, it seems a little far away from St. Germain but I guess walking is not too far.

Anyway, are there any room types that you would recommend at this hotel? I would guess the standard rooms are pretty small.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:22 AM

The deluxe rooms are the largest, with the classic rooms between deluxe and standard. We won't be staying there until September; so I can't provide exact information, but the people I know who have looked at the hotel for us think it's very nice. There are number of cafés and restaurants near at hand, along with 2 métro stations.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Thank you, the Sainte Beuve does look very nice. Its decor is simple but nice. After a couple nights' stay in a toile and floral room I don't care for that decor anymore. It was toile wallpaper, floral curtains and spread.
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM

To Underhill, the Brighton emailed back that the a/c is not on now but will be on in July.
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM

francophile03,

Hmmm...I wonder what months the a/c runs? Just July and August, perhaps?
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I just sent another email to the Brighton about the months for a/c.
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Hotel Brighton responded. I think there is a little translation misunderstanding. I asked if a/c will be available in July & August. They said it'll be on "forever". I guess they meant that the a/c will be available for guests to use at will beginning in June-in other words it's not installed yet but will be in June.
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM

2) Hotel D'Angleterre 44 Rue Jacob (6th)

Would never go there again. Dusty fake flower arrangements grace the lobby floor. Unfriendly and uninformed front desk staff. One morning I was sitting in the breakfast room and the light was turned out I think because I was sitting there too long (in their eyes). Internet connection, but nobody on the staff could figure out how to make the connection work.

Just skip this place. Too bad it has a good location.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:29 PM

ctkathy, can I ask when you visited the Hotel d'Angleterre? I stayed there in 2002 and didn't think the cost was worth it. Staff was just ok, the manager herself was not friendly, and the other reception guy even charged us for the call he made to reserve a restaurant for us. One guy was a bit friendly but forgetful with our breakfast orders as he had to mind the reception and take the breakfast orders (b'fast was terrible and it costs 9 euros then-now they include it in the rates). The girl who cooked the breakfast didn't know how to cook eggs properly so it tasted horrible and they charged I think 2-3 euros for one egg. The room had peeling paint and the bathtub had mold. And this was in deluxe room #44, the room that's pictured above their patio.
I know the hotel is favored alot by many people but it didn't work out well for us. Same with Hotel du Danube a few doors away; I didn't like it and the staff was cool. Again others have had better experiences there too.
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:19 AM

ctkathy..I wonder when you stayed at the d'Angleterre? i found the lobby area dusty and musty on a previous visit, but our rooms were always spotless and large to vey large and a huge bath. Also It has been completely refurbished within the last few months so I wouldn't give it a pass

Chechk out their new website..http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -