Reload this Page >

londonpass worth it?

Search

londonpass worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Laura

londonpass worth it?

My husband and I will be in London for a week, next week and were wondering if we should purchase the londonpass with transportation. Are the attractions free with this pass? and is the transportation good for anywhere you want to go? We want to see as much as possible.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Jen

If you do a search on this board, you'll find plenty of discussions of the London Pass. <BR><BR>The transportation option costs MORE than the transport passes that are available at any tube station in Lonodn (daily or weekly). Most places of interest to tourists are in Zones 1 and 2, and the travel card that's bought with the London Pass covers all 6 zones, which is one reason it costs more.<BR><BR>Most of the museums in London are free, so most visitors do not find the London Pass to be a good buy. But it's best for each family to cost it out on their own, for their own itinerary: www.londonpass.com

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Dave

As a side note:<BR><BR>You can find info on visitor transport passes at: www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/tfl<BR><BR>A 7-day visitor's pass for Zones 1-2 (plus most buses in ALL zones) is around $30US. There are no time restrictions, you don't need a photocard (I think), and shipping is free if you purchase from the TfL website (compared to Rick Steves' for example, where shipping is an extra $10).<BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Dave

Just checked out the website for the Londonpass. I am currently planning my 6th trip to the UK and 4th stay in London. <BR><BR>After looking over the list of attractions and adding up the (estimated) entrance fees for even an aggressive itinerary, I can say I would find it VERY difficult to get my money's worth from this card.<BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Jen

Dave, an additional consideration in this case, regarding the choice of transport pass, is that the OP is traveling NEXT WEEK and so would probably not have time to get the pass delivered to them. I personally would not trust shipping if I were traveling next week. Yes, if they want to buy a one-week pass in London, they'll need a passport-sized photo (but just cutting one out of a snapshot is OK). <BR><BR>FYI, the visitors travel card (purchased either separately or with a London Pass) is not available in the UK, just in advance.<BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Ric

I'm going to London next week.<BR>I bought the London for Less Guide for $10 which includes a smartsave card.<BR><BR>This entitles you to 20% discounts at St. Paul's, Tower Bridge Experience, Cabinet War Rooms, London Zoo & Aquarium, and London Dungeon. It also has a whole bunch of discount coupons from 10-50% off other attractions (Tower of London 10%, Jewel Tower 50%, etc)<BR><BR>Even if the card is not that worthwhile, it only cost $10 and the actual map and guide are pretty good.<BR><BR>Ric

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Sam

OK, I will play the "devil's advocate" and support the London Pass. <BR><BR>First of all the London Pass itself has nothing to do with the transport system (tube and buses) -- it looks like a credit card, complete with magnetic strip, and you use it at the admissions gate at the attraction concerned, they have a special card-reader and in you go. The transport pass is a whole separate thing, although you can buy a visitors travel card along with the London Pass if you buy it in advance.<BR><BR>If you buy the 6-day London Pass, for &pound;59, then you would have to use it for at least &pound;10 worth each day for it to be "worth it." Well, admission to some attractions like the Tower of London is already &pound;11. The pass includes admission to special exhibitions at the free museums (British Museum, Portrait gallery, etc.), where the speical exhibitions usually cost &pound;8 - 10; it also includes admission to the key palaces (Buckingham, Kensington, Hampton Court). <BR><BR>The Pass also includes benefits other than museums and attractions -- you can get from Westminster to the Tower or to Greenwich on a free ride on the Catamaran Cruisers, using your London Pass. Or get a free teddy bear (quite a nice one) if you shop at Hamley's toy store (though the required purchase has risen from &pound;5 to 20). Plus, discounts at restaurants, movie theaters, film developing, all sorts of places. <BR><BR>Using the Pass for just two or three of these things each day would make it cost-effective.<BR><BR>The London Pass web site lists lots of details about the attractions and other benefits, even lists nearby attractions and helps you plan your day out. For people who like to be on the go, and who are not focused on museums (art, British, V&A), this can be a good deal.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Dave

Jen,<BR><BR>You're right, I saw the "a week" part, but missed the "next week" part. The website won't allow you to purchase a travelcard less than about 3 weeks in advance (delivery is supposed to take less than 10 days).<BR><BR>Sam,<BR><BR>It is possible to do, but with all the free stuff now in London (British, Tate & Science Museums, Nat'l Gallery, Services at St Paul's and Westminster, just to name a few) I would be very hard pressed put together a one-week itinerary which includes even some of these (free) essentials, plus enough fee-charging sites to make the pass worthwhile. I wouldn't say the londonpass can't be made to work, but I don't think it would be easy (or convenient).<BR><BR>Laura,<BR><BR>Another side note: as part of the Jubilee celebration this year, there are special discounted joint passes for visiting some combination of The Tower, Hampton Court and Kensington Palace. See www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/home.asp for details.<BR><BR>(I hope I'm not being too argumentative here; I'm just trying to fill in the next six weeks until I get to go to London myself

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sam

No, I don't think you're being argumentative, it's good to explore both sides of an issue. That's why I took up the "devil's advocate" position. AKA the museum-haters stance. It really wouldn't be that hard to put together a London Pass week, based on the palaces, Greenwich, Tower, Kew, etc. for those who've had enough of the major museums.