The London Pass - to buy or not to buy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week in London.....I decided to go with the visitor travel card (thanks for the great discussion on this subject!) but am unsure about the value of an attractions pass - specifically the London Pass. Is it worth the expense?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:54 AM

So many museums and other activities are free nowadays, most visitors do not find the London Pass to be a good value. BUT each family's itinerary is unique, so only you can determine whether it's worth it for you.

There are several lengthy past discussions about the London Pass that you can access thru the search function, but do be aware that the list of attractions changes every year. IIRC, Shakespeare's Globe has recently been added and Madame Tussaud's dropped.

I must admit I'm curious why you decided to go with the visitors travelcard rather than just buying a 7-day travel card after you arrive in London.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I usually don't recommend the London Pass. With so many fabulous free places in London you would have to really work at it to get to enough covered sites to make the pass worthwhile. Many Pass holders end up going to more of the 2nd tier for-pay sites to justify having bought the Pass.

But then, I don't recommend the Visitor's Travel Card either. . . . .
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Anonymous....thanks for the search suggestion...I'm fairly new to this site and hadn't gone back far enough to find London Pass thread. I went with the Travel Pass because I wanted to have it in advance....one less thing to worry about as I'm herding cats (14 to 75 year old family members looking to me to be tour guide)!.......Jaye
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Anon, the Vistors 7-day Travelcard costs exactly the same as the regular one, plus shipping is free. Only difference is that you can't buy the visitors one in England. I was surprised, too, because the Paris Visite is such a ripoff.

See ticket-on-line.com
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I'm well aware of the tiny price difference between the two 7-day travelcards (£19.30 vs. 19.60); that's exactly why I was curious why someone would go to the bother of buying it ahead of time, taking chances with the mails, remembering to pack it, having it handy to use upon arrival, etc. instead of just buying one in London!

The ticket-on-line arrangements are new this year; last summer, the Visitors Travelcard was much more expensive than the regular London-bought version.