Reload this Page >

London Travel Pass Price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Betty

I noticed that someone mentioned it was cheaper to buy the Paris museum pass when you arrive in Paris. (on the internet it is $32.00 for 3 day - if you buy it in Paris it is $23.00 for 3 days). Now I am wondering about the London Pass. It is $30.00 for a 7 day central zone pass. How much is it if you purchase it in London?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Ellen

Here are some basic facts to help sort it all out.<BR><BR>LondonPass is the name of a museum/attractions pass that can be purchased with or without a travel pass component.<BR><BR>Most museums in London are free; the attractions included in the London Pass are mostly the private places like Madame Tussaud's, though the Tower of Lonodn and the palaces (Windsor, Buckingham, etc.) are also included.<BR><BR>There is indeed a Visitors Travelcard which can be purchased separately or as part of the London Pass IF you buy the pass in advance. The LondonPass can be bought at many locations in London, but without the travel pass.<BR><BR>The London transit system is divided into 6 Zones, which are arranged in concentric circles, like a target. Most museums and tourist attractions are in zzones 1 and 2.<BR><BR>You can buy Visitors travelcards for various numbers of days and various zones, but they all cost more than buying passes after you arrive in London.<BR><BR>To buy a "travelcard" after you arrive in London, just go to any tube (subway) ticket booth and buy one! Most tourists will want a pass that's just for zones 1 and 2, or even just zone 1. You can get one-day passes that cost &pound;5.30 (about $7.50), or after 9:30 AM they cost &pound;4.10. Weekend travelcards, which don't have the 9:30 restriction, cost &pound;6.60. <BR><BR>You can also get a 7-day travelcard for &pound;19.30; you will need to bring a passport-sized photo for the car holder, but it can be cut out of any snapshot, they're not very fussy.<BR><BR>For people traveling with children, the daily Famly Travelcards are a very good deal, though they're not avialable til 9:30. They cost &pound;2.70 per adult and 80p per child (under age 16).<BR><BR>All of the above travel cards are good for unlimited rides on both the "tube" (subway) and buses.<BR><BR>The London Pass (i.e., the museum part) is rather expensive even without the travel component; for most first-time visitors spending one to two weeks, it's not likely to be a good deal. But do go to the web site and cost it out for yourself.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
janis

Ellen pretty much covered it. The main thing is there is no need to buy a "visitors'" travel pass. Just buy the same London Transport passes as the locals use - they are cheaper and you can buy them just for the zone(s) you need.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Betty

Yes, I really meant the travel pass only. It is $30.00 for a 7 day central zone, on the britrail web site. How much would it be in London?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Betty

Oh I am sorry, forget my last question. Ellen answered it already. It really is not much difference on that one. Thanks everyone!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Ellen

The 7-day travelcard for the "central Zone" (i.e., Zone 1) would be &pound;16.20, which is about $23.50. <BR><BR>If you want to travel beyond the zones you purchased, you can buy a separate "extension" (for instance if you want to go to Greenwich, which is Zone 2).

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Betty

In your first reply you mentioned the card for 19.30 pounds. Is the one for 16.20 pounds the same? and where would I buy that one? would I need a picture for that one?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Jeff

&pound;16.20 is for zone 1....&pound;19.30 is for zones 1 & 2. 99% of the tourist attractions are in zone 1 so I buy a zone 1. Howevever a couple of interesting attractions are in zone 2. The zoo is in zone 2 and Greenwich is in zone 2. If you want to take in both, you are better off with the zone 1 2...if you only take in one then the zone 1 is fine. The day you go to Greenwich or the zone at the start of your journey you buy an extension ticket (&pound;1) to cover your sojourn in zone 2 and another extension ticket when leaving from the zone 2 station.<BR><BR>First time visitors who are unsure probably should opt for the zone 1 & 2 pass. Of course if your hotel is in zone 2 there really is little choice!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Betty

And Jeff, can I buy this pass at the Victoria station - and do I need to bring a picture for it?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Ellen

Yes, you can buy a weekly travel card at any tube station, including Victoria, and you will need a photo for the pass holder.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Betty

Ok. Thanks for the info. I will just wait and buy it when I arrive. I was going to get this pass + Paris museum pass + tickets to Paris and back + Gatwick train passes to Victoria from a travel agency here in my hometown (Georgia). I am paying $120.00 for the round trip to Paris and $30.00 for round trip from Gatwick to Victoria. What's your thoughts on these other deals?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Patti

HI,<BR><BR>I have a follow up question--is the 7 day pass good for seven days in a row or any 7 days? I will be in England in June but we plan to do four days in London, then go out into the countryside, and come back at the end of the trip for the last three days in London. Anyone?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Patti

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Ellen

Seven consecutive days. You'll probably be better off with daily and weekend passes.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Patti

Thanks Ellen!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Patrick

Over the years I have learned that I never get my value out of a week's pass even though I'm there for a week at least. I stay in central London and walk to theatre nearly every night. Generally on three days I'll go on daytrips out of the city so at most I will only use two trips on the tube to get to and from a rail station -- cheaper just to buy two tickets for those days. Usually on one or maybe two days I won't even go on the underground, just walk and do things in Central. So for the two or three days when I really plan on hoping on and off the tube -- I just buy a day pass, and since I usually do breakfast near my flat or hotel, the after 9:30 pass usually works fine. On the other hand, if you are staying out where you must take the tube to go anywhere, then I'd generally recommend the week pass -- but just wait till you get there to buy it.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Jeff

Patrick:<BR><BR>Let's do the math. Two one day passes cost &pound;8.20. Two round trips cost &pound;3.20. That's &pound;11.40. Each bus ride costs &pound;1. The 7 day zone one costs &pound;16.30. Isn't it great to have the pass in your pocket and be able to hop on and off any bus that comes along???<BR><BR>Not trying to be critical but for most people, the 7 day pass is best.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Penny

My husband and I are travelling to England in July. Should we get the 3-day central zone travel pass which is sold for $33.00 Cdn. here, or wait until we get there and get daily passes? Would it be better to get daily passes, and take the "Big Bus" open top tour buses for one day. The London Pass for entrance to several museums, exhibits, etc. is $90 Cdn. for a 3-day pass. Is this good?<BR>We're on a budget!<BR>Also does anyone know if the Gatwick Express stops at the Kings Cross station?<BR>Thanks.<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM
xxxxxx

topping

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:21 PM
starspinners

Message: Penny,<BR>The Gatwick Express goes directly from the airport into Victoria Station, there are no stops at Kings Cross.<BR>You can take a taxi from Victoria to your Bloomsbury hotel/B&B, about a &pound;15 ride.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Penny

Thanks starspinners. They told me when I e-mailed the London Underground that the Gatwick Express stopped at Kings Cross station, but from this site I thought differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -