Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for an opera or other entertainment in Paris...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:13 AM
sandi

My husband and I will be in Paris (1st visit) on Oct. 17-22. I thought I'd be fun to see some sort of show, maybe a famous opera but am not into the touristy cabaret scene. Can anyone point me to a web site that may outline shows that'll be in the city during that time? Can anyone suggest something? Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Linda

Sandi, Most people wouldn't go to France for English theater but it may be a fun thing to try. I think this is a new venture -- at least I've just discovered it. To see what's playing go to:<BR>http://oneworldactors.com.chez.tiscali.fr/?referrer=FGTOenews13<BR>Even if there isn't any opera that you'd enjoy, you should tour the opera house - it's great.<BR>Have fun. Linda

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:39 AM
sandi

It doesn't necessarily have to be in english. I'd really just be going for the experience and atmosphere.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:41 AM
StCirq

Here are two websites with good information:<BR><BR>www.leclubparis.com<BR><BR>www.pariscope.com

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
kate

We have used these in the past and were happy with them:<BR>www.globaltickets.com<BR>www.webscapades. com<BR>www.keithprowse.com<BR>TicketAvenue used to be really good but alas, they went out of business.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:49 AM
diane

Try to see a concert at St Martins in the Field. If you can catch a performance of the chamber group from the Academy of SMinF you will really be in for a treat.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:51 AM
diane

Now, I realize I just sent you to LONDON. duh. You can, however, enjoy a small concert at the exquisite St. Chappelle in Paris. A really delightful experience in itself, and you get plenty of time to appreciate the fantastic stained glass of this beautiful little church.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Gretchen

There may be concerts at Ste. Chapelle or Madeleine during your stay. Here is a site for what may be on and making reservations. You make the reservation and then pick it up the night of the concert--pay cash. Just absolutely beautiful in a beautiful setting.<BR>http://www.ampconcerts.com/<BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Wendy

Sandi, my mom and I attended an opera at the Palais Garnier. It was the most beautiful theater I have been in. There are actually productions at both the Garnier and the Bastille during your stay. Here is the site for both venues:<BR><BR>http://www.parisopera.org/

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:01 AM
carol

Here's another very strong vote for seeing ANYTHING at the Palais Garnier. It is also one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever been in--you can probably see opera or ballet there. You will absolutely be transported to haute 19th century Paris--get there early so you can wander around the gorgeous galleries, where everyone gathered to see and be seen. BTW, I saw a chamber music group there on a Sunday night.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:25 AM
sandi

I found a website that had images of the Palais Garnier..oh, my God what an incredible building. If we don't get to see an opera there we will most definitely tour the facility. I also love the idea about a concert in St. Chappelle. I'm so excited about the trip. Obviously, if we didn't attend a concert or opera it would still be a wonderful trip but these extra things are just icing on the cake aren't they?<BR><BR>Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Christina

Just look under events or entertainment on the Paris Tourist Office web site, it includes everything, and you can choose what you like by date www.paris-touristoffice.com

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
sandi

Can someone assist me? I went to the site for the concerts at Ste. Chapelle and this one looks interesting. Does this indicate March 1 thru Oct 20? I just want to be sure. What does the h30 indicate. Sorry!<BR><BR>Mar 01 Octobre 20h30<BR><BR> Eglise de la Madeleine Grand concert, r&eacute;unissant : <BR>Les Violons de France et Trompettes de Versailles <BR>Les Quatre Saisons de Vivaldi <BR>Petite Musique de Nuit de Mozart <BR>Adagio d’Albinoni – Canon de Pachelbel <BR>Water Music de Haendel <BR>Ave Maria de Schubert et de Gounod <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:38 AM
frenchie

'Mar' stands for 'Mardi' = Tuesday.<BR><BR>The starting time must be 20.30 h which is 08:30 PM

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:41 AM
frenchie

That particular concert is at La Madeleine and not at the Sainte-Chapelle.<BR><BR>www.ampconcerts gives information about concerts at the Ste Chapelle, La Madeleine, Saint Julien le Pauvre, and maybe some others as well.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:44 AM
sandi

Man, I'm trying to learn basic Frech phrases..I've got a long way to go. And I realize now that it's Oct.1st, which we will not be there. Thanks everyone.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Lesli

Sandi - <BR><BR>Please note that the ampconcerts site does not list ALL performances at St. Chappelle. There are performances there nearly every night, but "lesser" performers are not listed on the site. You will find complete listings for these and other concerts in churches, as well as virtually any other entertainment you can imagine, in Pariscope. Some listing are in English, and you can buy it from any newstand.<BR><BR>I bought my St. Chappelle concert tickets the day before the performance while I was visiting to see the windows. I imagine you'd be able to do the same in mid-October.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Wendy

Also Sandi I may be wrong but I had heard that without attending a performance at the Garnier you can't actually go in for a tour. Can anyone confirm this?<BR><BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Ursula

Wendy, it seems that you can tour the Palais Garnier without attending a performance. The tours are during the day and not during the performances though (I mean daytime).<BR>What about the Opera de Paris web site? They might have further information on that. There was a post about this, a while ago. But, how find it?<BR>I just checked a Pariscope copy. And well, there is a museum and a library. Visits daily 10 AM to 5 PM.<BR>At 12 PM, they have commented visits. <BR>It says: 'Entree commune avec visite de l'Opera' (Groups of 10 pers.).<BR>So, here you are! )

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Jim

Unless things have changed, the Palais Garnier is open daily except for performance days.<BR><BR>Have a nice trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -