London Visitor Travelcard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last March I was able to buy the 7-day London Visitor Travelcard at Heathrow Airport. You were only able to buy it at the airport, not in London itself. I did not have to provide a picture, did not have to commit funds before traveling and did I have to remember the pass. Does anyone know if this is still an option? Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Go to www.ticket-on-line.com you will be directed to Your Ticket To Travelling in London.<BR>If you buy on-line, in advance, you do not need a photo. If you wait to buy a pass in London- you will need a small headshot picture.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:04 PM

I'm sorry, but I believe Athena is simply asking if she can still purchase the Visitor Travelcard at Heathrow Airport, and is not looking for alternatives. <BR>I would like to know the answer to her question, because last year I also bought a Visitor Travelcard at Heathrow, and will return to London soon. Buying the travelcard on-line ahead of time is not an option, and I don't want to deal with the photo business at a busy station. <BR>So folks, is the Visitor Travelcard still available at Heathrow or not? <BR>Thank you.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:27 PM

Are you sure this was a visitor's travelcard or the regular 7 day travelcard available to one and all at any LU station?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:36 PM

My my, aren't we &quot;snippy&quot; shutterbug. So much for a kinder and gentler Fodors forum. I'm confused by Athena's statement that she did not have to commit funds before traveling but did I have to remember the pass. Anyway, I'm not sure if you still just go to the travel info center and purchase the 7 day visitor travelcard without first exchanging a voucher purchased outside the UK but it's worth a try and if you're arriving into LHR terminal 4, the London Transport desk is still there, in the arrivals hall.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM
ja

I just bought one at Heathrow last month for 7 days. We did need photos and brought them from home--we could have taken photos in the machine there but wanted to get on with our trip. I am still carrying it, but alas, it is no good in Chicago !
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just returned from London. I purchased a 7 day travel card at Heathrow. Good for Zones 1 and 2. No picture required.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM

A gracious &quot;Thank you&quot; to ja and obxgirl for verifying that the card is still available at Heathrow. This is good news. <BR><BR>By the way, for timely information on the London Underground, the official site is http://www.thetube.com. In-country purchase possibilities were not obvious to me, but the customer service staff responded quickly to my e-mail inquiries (but after the ja and obxgirl postings).<BR><BR>(Fantasia, I apologize if I somehow inadvertently offended you with my attempt to clarify the issue raised by Athena and generate a helpful response to her question. I am sorry that you perceived this as &quot;snippy.&quot
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:08 AM

<BR>The London Visitor Travel Card is sold at the above web site I posted.<BR>You can get questions answered there. <BR><BR>You can also buy a transportation pass along with A London Pass.<BR><BR>There are travel cards for visitors and there are regular passes you can buy when you get there. I have read on this site you can buy them at the airport. XYZ123 has the right question here- which pass?<BR>Maybe if you don't like this thread shutterbug- you can &quot;bugger off&quot;.<BR><BR>Athena could have done a search on this subject and found a dozen threads written on this subject.<BR><BR>
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did research the topic before I travelled and found much of the information clear as mud.<BR><BR>One week ago I purchased a pair of 7 day travel cards at Heathrow airport for the same price listed at <BR>www.ticket-on-line.com. Although I had photos with me (because I couldn't get clear whether I'd need them or not) they were not required or even mentioned.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:27 PM

First, the visitors travelcard is the topic in question, not the distinctly different 7-day travelpass. Obxgirl is absolutely correct that the on-line information is filled with unclear and often conflicting statements. <BR><BR>To help clarify that, here is an excerpt from the response I received from my inquiry to http://www.thetube.com<BR>&quot;...the Visitor's Travelcards are available for purchase from Heathrow Travel Information Centre.&quot; Same way we did it last year. Just what I needed, and I hope what Athena needs to know. <BR><BR>In response to rather rude comment from tripr4me, I am sorry if you are offended in any way, and I really don't understand how. I have attempted to clarify a question, provide information and have been much more polite than some folks have been to me. <BR><BR>In any event, I hope this helps you, Athena. Bon Voyage.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the useful information and the polite responses, Shutterbug, ja, and obxgirl. It is because of people like you that I continue to read this forum while ignoring rude comments from others. I had indeed researched all previous threads on the London Visitor Travelcard before posting, but did not find any specific answer to the question of whether one can still purchase the Visitor Travelcard (not the 7-day travelpass) at Heathrow. This information is not available on the official Tube website either. Thank you, Shutterbug, for taking the time to find out the answer directly from the Tube.<BR>Buon Viaggio to you also. By the way, when will you be in London? Perhaps we can meet for lunch if our schedules overlap.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:02 PM

You are quite welcome, Athena. <BR>I'll be in London from late March through early April. If this overlaps your schedule, and you're still interested in meeting up, you may contact me at [email protected] for details. <BR>Salute!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:40 PM

I don't understand something...<BR><BR>There is no difference between the visitor's travelcard and the regular 7 day travelcard; none whatsoever except for the regular 7 day travelcard you need a photocard which is free. The only other possible advantage of buying the 7 day pass in London is you can get a zone 1 only which is about &pound;3 cheaper than the 7 day zone 1 &amp; 2 (or the visitor's travelcard zone 1 &amp; 2) which might be advantageous to some.<BR><BR>But again I wish somebody would explain to me how somebody can see the 7 day pass in London is distinctly different than the visitor's travelcard. From what I understand, they are one and the same and have always been so.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM

xyz123, <BR>I think the difference between a Visitor Travel Card and a regular Travel Card is time. The regular Travel Card cannot be used before 9:30 am whereas the Visitor Travel Card can be.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:13 PM

The 7-day travel passes, both visitor and regular, are both good all day for a full week. <BR><BR>The only passes that are sold only from 9:30 onwards on weekdays are the one-day travelcards (individual and family). There is also a more expensive daily travelcard that can be purchased before 9:30.