Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Visitor Travelcard shipping charges?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:48 PM
BFG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in London for 3 days, and are interested in purchasing the London Visitor Travelcard for that period. However, we were quoted a $15 shipping charge. Do you know of a way of buying the card without the exhorbitant shipping cost? If so, we'd be most appreciative of learning who to contact.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Just go thru Transport for London's own site, rather than an agent.

http://www.ticket-on-line.com/cgi-bi...te=info_prices
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM

You can also buy it at the airport at the ticket office for the Underground. Heathrow is in Zone 6.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:16 PM

hi BFG,

Ditto on anon's recommendation. If you are planning ahead you can buy it from the following site with little or no shipping. All other agents charge between $10-15 in S&H.

go to:

www.ticket-on-line.com and follow the instructions. I recommend the central london 1-2 zones because in 3 days you really probably would not use the other zones.

if you have enough time, order it online. you will get it about 7-10 days from your start date. make sure you use the actual date that you will arrive, not the one that you fly out (most of us fly out to london on the evening before and do not arrive until the next day).

if you do not have time (ie 4-6 weeks before your trip), RJ007's advise is good, but only if you are arriving at heathrow. I have yet to be able to purchase a london VISITOR travelcard at gatwick.

hope this helps!

erinb
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM
BFG
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the ticket-on-line suggestion--I think we'll do that. One more question: are the tickets dated? I thought they were activated on the first date they were used.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM

You take them to the wicket at the tube stop when you get there...they validate them and activate them.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:57 PM

HI BFG,

The london tube visitor travelcards do require that you state the first date you would use them. (The paris viste does not and activates or sets the 1st day when you first use them). the ticket-on-line site will ask you for the 1st day you will be using them, and they do expect you to start that first day. (Our's had the date on the ticket). The first time you use them in the turnstyle they are activated. (we actually had a problem with one of ours working and had to go to the window to have them fix something in the computer, but that only took a minute or two that first time.

This date issue is probably the only leftover incentative for buying them thru a 3rd party. Some of the 3rd party agents give you a voucher instead of the card, and you exchange that voucher for the card when you arrive. The voucher does not require a set date, so you don't have to declare the date until you actually arrive and you trade for the card. Not all 3rd parties still do this, however, to me this is still not enough incentive to pay $15 S&H for.

On our trip, we were arriving on a thursday, would be there 9 full days (not including travel). We knew that that thursday we would be close to our items on our iteniary and then the next day we would be going to windsor, so we decided to buy the 7 day card and set our date to begin until friday. we then had it 7 full days, and only had to buy singles for thursday and our date flying out.

hope this helps!