Search

Latin Quarter area hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:32 AM
dj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latin Quarter area hotels

Confused about where to stay in LQ 2nd week of March. Need an inexpensive but nice hotel with shower (and breakfast preferred). Any suggestions or recommendations. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:50 AM

We got a good rate (around 100 Euro per night with A/C)at Hotel Mongue for July. I went with them after seeing many positive posts on this board. You can find them on the web.<BR><BR>I'm sure you will get a lot of other good suggestions, as well.<BR><BR>
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi dj<BR> I always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 rue bonaparte in the 6th.<BR> About 100E double w/bkfst in the room.<BR>Has A/C, minibar, en suite bath, elevator.<BR> Lovely, helpful people.<BR> Look them up at http://www.voila.fr/PJ/<BR> They do not have a website or eml. Madam says it is not necessary.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 03:37 PM

HOTEL DEGRES DE NOTRE DAME in the 5th arrondissement (in the historic Latin Quarter) is one of my faves (very quaint), where I stayed March 2001. It is very close to Notre Dame (some rooms have views) and definitely within walking distance of many sights (Mus&eacute;e Louvre, Notre Dame, Ste-Chapelle, riverboats, Shakespeare &amp; Co. plus a great little souvenir shop around the corner at #5 Quai de Montebello – Maison de Paris).<BR> <BR>My room (#48 on the 3rd or 4th floor?) went for 600 ff, $86 per night (includes free breakfast) for 2 twins pushed together (I think it was meant to be a double) in a fairly large room (large for Paris) with a desk and glossy hardwood floors, beamed ceilings, lovely wool oriental rugs, with a perfect little view of Notre Dame thru double-glazed windows curtained by floor-to-ceiling brocade drapes; amenities include TV, hair drier, en-suite bathroom with bath &amp; shower and radiator. It was very, very nice, in a well-situated, centrally located, safe area. My room was very clean and I was impressed by the view from the hotel entrance facing a pedestrianized charming, little square, nothing big, nothing fancy, just a nice little Parisian touch. <BR><BR>If you’re hungry, attached is a couscous-type bar/restaurant that, I understand, stays open all night except for Sunday (which helps if you come back famished from sightseeing and you don’t feel like going out to eat).<BR><BR>Breakfast consisted of fresh-squeezed o.j., nice, hot, strong French &quot;cafe&quot; served in a white ceramic pitcher accompanied by the &quot;lait&quot; in same, extra-flaky croissants, sliced baguette bread, homemade jams &amp; butter. Sweet! Did I mention it was free? I'd get so many carbs &amp; caffeine in my system in the morning that my body would be buzzing for an hour waiting for the opportunity to burn it off through incessant walking.<BR><BR>As the hotel has no website you will need to fax directly to Nichole who is fluent in English; fax # is as follows:<BR>Fax#: (33) 01 40 46 95 34<BR><BR>I found this review on the web before I went to assure that it would be nice: <BR>http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/features/parishotels041899.htm<BR>This article mentions that you can have breakfast in your room, but as I never asked (I ate downstairs in the little restaurant) I can't confirm that.<BR><BR>I located this hotel in “Charming Small Hotel Guides (Paris and around)”. This book states that staff carries the bags for you but was told when I went that they didn't have sufficient help to provide that service, so I would suggest asking Nichole when you fax her.<BR><BR>Bonne journee!! @&gt;-&gt;---<BR>
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 03:54 PM

<BR><BR>We have used the Hotel de Fleurie, just off St. Germaine. It is fairly quite, yet just steps from the main street. <BR><BR>Rooms are pleasant, with showers and breakfast, although we usually went to nearby cafe's to eat. <BR><BR>Staff is efficient and rooms are nice. Their website:<BR><BR> http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr<BR><BR>Enjoy Paris
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 05:36 PM

Years ago I stayed at a hotel near the Lux. gardens- I think the name was Jean Bart hotel. It was inexpensive and nice location- short walk to the gardens and Boul St. Michel. Does anyone know if it's still there??
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 10:00 PM

Hi Beatle,<BR><BR>Checking http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi I found the HOTEL JEAN-BART @ 9 rue Jean Bart, 75006 which is a few blocks from the Jardin du Luxembourg. It's described as being a hotel/restaurant. Phone # is 01 45 48 29 13. VOILA!!<BR>
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:43 AM

Beatchick- You're the best! I barely remember the hotel, it was years ago, but I do recall that the owners were very friendly and the location was great. I'll be in Paris in April and will be sure to stop there. I also marked the website. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:54 AM

The Hotel des Grandes Ecoles can't be beat! Excellent facility, great location and friendly, helpful and accommodating staff.<BR>Check out its website:<BR>http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:16 AM
Maira

I highly recommend Hotel St. Christophe <BR><BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005saintchris.htm<BR><BR>The staff was the nicest we've ever found for a Paris hotel, close to Monge train station, lively neighborhood. Clean, nice rooms, no A/C but since you are going in March, it should not matter much. Great breakfast.

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:39 AM

Any other suggestions in the 5th, 6th or 7th for under 70 Euros for a single in March? I would like a shower or bath in the room, not much concerned with the hotel's restaurant or other facilities.<BR><BR>I am leaning toward the Famila Hotel.<BR><BR> Keith
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM

Keith,<BR><BR>We booked at Familia before and the renovations to our room weren't ready when we arrived, so they booked us at another hotel just around the corner, which actually ended up being much more convenient for us. It was directly at a metro stop and had a small grocery near the entrance.<BR><BR>It was called La Studia and the rate was about $80 per night in April. We had a nice full bath in the room, and the room was clean, even if a bit cramped. We also weren't too concerned with the rest of the hotel amenities, but they did serve a small breakfast downstairs.<BR><BR>La Studia doesn't have a website, but you can find their basic info by doing an on line search.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM

Maira, I did like Hotel St Christophe, except for one thing: the plumbing system is -very- creaky/noisy. All night you can hear the flushing, whooshing sounds going thru the pipes. That is the ONLY negative I have, though. It's a nice little hotel, the staff is more service-oriented than others I've stayed at, and the decor is nice. It's between 2 metro stations, and a 1/2 block from the Place Monge market.<BR>I've read good reports here on Residence Monge, and think we'll try that one next time we go to Latin Qtr.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:10 PM

The Hotel Le Clement is a quaint 2 star which has been renovated but still has excellent rates. Central location, but streetscape a bit uninspiring.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:16 PM

Try Hotel Abbatial St. Germain on Blvd. St. Germain.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:55 PM

You're welcome, Beatle! I love being challenged by questions like that!<BR><BR>I hope it's everything you remember it to be!! : )