Reload this Page >

Visitor travelcard--London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:05 PM
Anna M

Does anyone know what areas exactly the London Visitor travel card (the one you have to buy before leaving the states) covers? The guidebooks say busses and Tube in and around London, but will it get us to Windsor or Hampton Court?

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 07:52 PM
Martha John

According to the cryptic information on the one I used three years ago (which, admittedly, may be a bit out of date) the Visitor Travelcard covers travel on the busses and tube over all the zones (1-6) in the greater London area. According to my (equally dated) bus and underground maps, that is a pretty wide area, *roughly* analagous to the area within the M25 beltway. That should get you to Hampton Court, but probably not Windsor. We had a three-day pass and only used it in the central area of London and got our cost out of it. I'd say, go for it.

Old Feb 15th, 1998, 05:07 PM
Dawn Krivutza

Do not buy a travel card in the US, it is MUCH cheaper to buy it at the tube station at the airport, or any other one you happen upon

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 05:34 AM
Tia

How much is it to buy the tube pass in London? One person mentioned that it cost her $59 to buy it in the US for a 7day pass. She also mentioned that you'll need a passport size picture when you purchase it in London. Anyone else with info on this subject?

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 12:34 PM
Mary

I responded to Tia on this earlier but it covers Zone 1-6 on the buses and Tube so it will get you from Heathrow into Central London and all over Central London; when you factor in the cost issue be sure and consider the exchange rate and bringing a passport sized photo with you; the folks getting their picture done at Heathrow to get a Travelcard in London were complaining bitterly about the cost of getting a photo. We also found it incredibly convenient after a long flight to turn in our voucher and hop on the Tube--the whole procedure took maybe 3 minutes.

It cost us 6 pounds roundtrip to go to Windsor on the train from Paddington so that is pretty reasonable and it was great--the Restoration is breathtaking.

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 06:24 PM
Tia

Does anyone have more info regarding the "London for Less" card that offers discounted prices on attractions and food? How much is it and is it worth it? I'm planning a 4 night stay in London.

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 01:33 PM
czanoff

This may be a crazy question, but can you use your VISA card to buy tube passes once you are in London?
I'm trying to get an idea of how much cash/travelers checks I need to bring.

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 10:32 AM
Anna M

Tia, I have just ordered a London for Less card and have it here in my hot little hand. I haven't used it yet but suspect I will at least break even on it. The cost was 24.95 US, and it comes with a generous offer for a full refund if you review the info that comes with it and decide it is not for you. As to what it will save you: First of all, it acts as a phone card with 5 GBP worth of calls, both domestic and international. Also includes coupons for 2 GBP off adult fare on Flightline bus to/from Gatwick or Stanstead, or 1 GBP off the Airbus from Heathrow (4 coupons for each). Three coupons for commission-free currency exchange at Travelex/Mutual of Omaha (multiple locations in major US airports, Heathrow, Gatwick,, and 5 locations in central London) Also--50%25 off for up to 4 adults and 4 children on London Pride bus tour, and discounts for up to 4 people at the following attractionsdiscounts usually either 10%25 or 1-1.5 GBP per person) Banqueting House, Cabinet war rooms, Rock Circus, Theater Museum, London Brass Rubbing center, St. Paul's, Tower of London, Tower Hill Pageant, Tower Bridge experience, Globe theater, London Dungeon, Britain at War Experience, Madame Tussaud's, London Planetarium, Kensington Palace, London Zoo, Cutty Sark, Hampton Court, and Kew Gardens. Also offers 25 %25 off entire bill at many restaurants throughout London in all price categories, and supposedly discounts on hotel rooms, though I was not impressed with the discounts in the budget priced range. Perhaps they are greater at the high-end hotels. In and of itself, it is a semi-decent guide book and contains a decent London street map. I elected to keep the one I bought and perhaps when we return in July I will have better info on how useful it was. Anna

Old Mar 6th, 1998, 02:51 AM
Tia

thanks for the info regarding the "London for Less" card. I just bought it today. I actually bought it from a book store (Borders). It was located with the rest of the London travel books and it was only $19.95 at the book store. I suggest buying it, because 1) you'll get all the discounts, so the card/book pays for itself; 2) it's also a travel book with insights and information about all the attractions. It also has a street map that's inserted in the back cover of the book as well a tube line map.

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 11:58 AM
Lori

One thing that the visitor travel card does cover that others do not is the night buses. We took our teenagers to London last year and they were out clubbing after the tube closed so the card was a great advantage for them as they could just show it and hop on the bus. One bit of advice for people who may be out late and can't figure out the night bus route, head for Trafalgar Square to pick up the buses.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 12:02 PM
sgorces

Alot of info already on this, but: I bought my card in the States for $25. Technically, the pass is good within a 15 mile radius of Central London which is not a particularly informative rule. I had no problem using mine on surface trains, tube, or bus inside the beltway. I could not use in on arrival however, because there is no voucher exchange facility at Gatwick. There is one at Heathrow. Have fun!

Old Mar 11th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Mike Long

Your visitors travel card will get you to Hampton Court. Take the district line to Richmond and there take the R68 bus directly to Hampton Court. Dont worry about where to get off, you cant miss it. As for Windsor, the card will take you as far as Richmond where you can buy a train ticket for the balance of the journey to Windsor. In my judgement, Windsor is as much a must as the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:51 AM
cathy

Mike just wondering which travel card you are referring to? The 7 day all zone card or just the 1 and 2 zone Does the 1 and 2 zone cover Hampton Court?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:02 AM
xxx3

Cathy, honey, Mike's post is 5 years old, he's probably not going to see your question. No, Richmond is in zone 4 so you'd have to buy an extension if your travel card doesn't cover that zone.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
KenCT

This topic keeps coming up under different headings. I usually spend a week in London every year and always get the seven day travel card at the Heathrow tube stop.<BR><BR>I get it for zones 1 & 2 since just about everything an average tourist is going to want to see is in those zones. For those that are not, you can buy an individual extension. Windsor will require a train from Waterloo or Paddington. <BR><BR>Yes, you need a "passport sized" photo for your photocard, which is separate from your travelcard, and which, in about a half dozen trips, I have never had to show to anyone. I got the photo at a machine in a mall shortly before I left the US and tucked it into my passport. At Heathrow, the entire transaction took about a minute, and I've been using that same photo card ever since, just updating the separate travel card which you put through the scanner at the entrance.<BR><BR>All of this sounds far more confusing than it really is. Check out the website http://www.londontransport.co.uk for up-to-the-minute information.