London Visitor Travel Card

Apr 29th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

London Visitor Travel Card

I'll be in London next month and was considering buying a Visitor Travel Card. It seems like a good deal. My only concern is that on all the information it says that the card works on "most National Rail Trains". Since I'll be staying outside the London (with friends) and needing to take a train into the city every day, it would be cost saving, IF it works on the train I need to take. Does anyone have experience with the card, and know which National Rail trains are included in it? Thanks
Apr 29th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone used a Visitor Travel Card?
Apr 29th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I used one last time I was in London, but only for the 1-2 zones. I would check www.thetube.com and look at the maps that are available.
Apr 29th, 2004, 09:45 AM

What zone does your friend live in?
Apr 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM

I don'tbelieve that the Visitors Travelcard is actually good on national Rail. But here's their official web site, which migh thaev the info you're seeking. Or your host might. There are also regular tube/bus travelcards that can be bought in London; that's the second link.

http://www.ticket-on-line.com/cgi-bi...te=info_prices

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...velcards.shtml
Apr 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I will be staying in Zone 5. On the website it says that the Visitor Travel Card is good on ALL tube and bus, and MOST National Rail trains in the London area. I can't seem to find the definition of MOST trains, or a list of which are included.
Apr 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM

The London Visitor Card is actually sold in TWO versions: All-zones (covering zones 1 to 6, including Heathrow) and Central (only covering zones 1 & 2) and for various number of days. Make sure to ask for the All-zones Travel Card if your friend lives in Zone 5.
Apr 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I can't quote chapter and verse, but the usual exception is the Heathrow Express - which doesn't stop in Z5 anyway.

If you're in Z5 (eg using Harrow on the Hill) and a National Rail train really is the most sensible option (though there are few examples of this) your card will be fine.

But the real answer is to ask your friends what they use. A Visitor Card may not be the best option.
Apr 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Actually, there's a third version of the Visitors' Travelcard, which is an all-zones card that also includes the Heathrow Express.

An all-zones Visitors Travelcard for a week costs £39.50, but you can also buy a pass at any tube station in London for just zones 1-5 which would cost £35.10.

As to the National Rail question, perhaps you should find out the particular station from your host, and then e-mail Transport for London with your specific issue.
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM

I've used the Visitor Travel Card every time I've been to London and I've found it to be incredibly convenient. The best place to buy one is at www.ticket-on-line.com. There is no service charge or mailing fee. They offer All-Zone passes, as well as the Central (Zones 1 & 2) passes. I think both are offered for 3, 4, and 7 days.
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:52 AM

'Most' National Rail trains means suburban services within the zones you've paid for (this is important south of the river and in the outer zones, where the tube lines are scarce but the surface suburban services are plentiful, for all sorts of historical reasons). Exclusion would be services like the Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick Expresses and intercity trains may stop at some stations in the outer zones (e.g., Watford): Travelcards may not be valid if you get on one of those trains to come into London rather than the normal stopping suburban service.

Your friends would be the best experts at whether Travelcards work from where they are.
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:53 AM

'Most' National Rail trains means suburban services within the zones you've paid for (this is important south of the river and in the outer zones, where the tube lines are scarce but the surface suburban services are plentiful, for all sorts of historical reasons). Exclusion would be services like the Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick Expresses and intercity trains may stop at some stations in the outer zones (e.g., Watford): Travelcards may not be valid if you get on one of those trains to come into London rather than the normal stopping suburban service.

The friends you will be staying with would be the best experts at whether Travelcards work from where they are.
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:29 PM

I'm planning a trip to London in July and I was told that my family would need a Britrail pass for the trains and a travel card would be used for the buses and the tubes. Does anyone know if what I was told is wrong?
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Well - you are sort of talking apples and oranges here. An example of a little bit of knowledge being dangerous. You most likely do not need a BritRail pass, and probably do need a London Transport travel card.

The VAST majority of visitors do not need BritRail passes. These are really only useful if you are taking several long distance and inter-city train trips. And even then point to point tickets are often cheaper. You wouldn't get any value out of a BritRail pass if you are just going to London w/ maybe one or two day trips out of town.

London Transport travel cards are what you need to travel w/i London on Buses/Tube/Trains. You can get these for a single day, a week, a weekend or what ever you need. The "Visitor travel card" is a tourist version of transport passes you can buy in advance. But they really don't save much if any money. You can buy what ever pass fits your needs at any tube station.
May 1st, 2004, 01:38 AM

This thing with the London Visitor's Travel card is always amusing to me.

The London Visitor's Travelcard does not offer one single advantage over buying the regular 7 day travel card upon arrival in London, not one. It is exactly the same price almost to the pence but there is a less flexible number of options as this thread has pointed out.

You will save several £'s by waiting till you get to London as perhaps all you need is a zone 1-5 rather than the all zones and the difference is something like £4. Yes in this case there is perhaps a slight advantage in that the Visitor's card does not require a passport sized photo which the reguar 1-5 zone card will; but for example for the zone 1 & 2 card, no photo is any longer required. And you can now buy these passes for the most part in the machines. If you are tubing in from LHR, there is no time advantage as you would have to stop by the booking hall anyway to purchase an extension ticket (you buy zones 1 or zones 1 & 2 and then need an extension ticket to cover your journey that day in zones through zone 6!)

In addition if you wait till London, you can, if you've done your homework, purchase a zone 1 if indeed thgat is all you need and save several £'s.

I tire of people who claim what a great advantage it is as they want to get right on the tube after their tiring all night flight. To me, it's just one additional hassle to have to take care of before leaving and just another thing that you could conceivably forget the day you leave.
May 1st, 2004, 07:44 AM

>The London Visitor's Travelcard does not offer one single advantage over buying the regular 7 day travel card upon arrival in London

There are a couple of small advantages. The Vistor Travel Card comes with a code good for discounts at a number of attractions. Also you already have the card and can go right to the tube at Heathrow and head into town.

Keith
May 1st, 2004, 10:20 AM

Quickly..

Most agree that the discounts offered on the Visitor's Travel Card are for second and third rate attractions. Do bear in mind that many of the museums in London are free!

As far as the second point, most people buy a zone 1 & 2 visitor's travel card. This card is not valid at Heathrow as Heathrow is in zone 6. There are many who may not be aware of this as many times few if any checks are made at Heathrow and by the time one gets into town, the zone 1 & 2 card will work in the turnstiles as one is in either zone 1 or in zone 2. Nonetheless, in theory, one should still have to go to the clerk in the booking office at Heathrow and purchase an extension ticket for that morning's trip in zones 6 to 3. It is very very rarely economical for a tourist type to buy or need an all zone travelcard.
May 1st, 2004, 04:47 PM

I think it just depends on the individual as to how they want to purchase the TravelCard. Some people would rather take care of it ahead of time and have it bought and paid for before they leave home. Others prefer to buy it once they arrive.

Note that the 3-day and 4-day travelcards are ONLY available on the website. You can't buy those once you arrive in London.
May 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM

I purchased a four day pass which I understand is not available in London.