Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental in Tuscany (6 adults, 1 or 2 cars)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Tuscany with my family (six adults). I'm researching villas in or near Greve and plan to spend much time exploring the hill towns, as well as Florence. I'm currently struggling with the decision of renting one car or two. The pro's of two small cars are that we'd have flexibility to split up and do different things and that a smaller car is easier to navigate through rocky, curvy roads. The con's are that it's more convenient to all go together and take turns as the driver. I'm leaning more toward the idea of one big car (minivan) but I don't know if that'll be a mistake considering the roads as well as parking. Also, I don't know how feasible it will be to rent a larger car - I know Europeans tend toward smaller cars. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on specific villas in Greve (3 bedrooms) would be a nice bonus.

Thanks.
Andrea
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Unless you're absolutely committed to being permanently joined at the hip I would go for two cars - you will all be more comfortable and will have the chance to go separate directions as the whim takes you. Unless you have planned long days of driving - I would think unlikely in Tuscany you won;t really need multiple drivers for each.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Besides the points nytraveler makes - two small cars will likely be less expensive than a van large enough for 6 plus luggage.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I would do 2 cars for reasons mentioned and also because will be a stick shift--if that matters. I suspect the price will be similar.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Beethoven

I rented a Volvo S60. It was very classy, and I thought I had splurged on this. BUT, the hills in Tuscany are very challenging and the extra horsepower was great. The typical Tuscan driver is a speed freak and if you have an underpowered car---you'll be constantly tailgated --it'll be frustrating.