London Victoria Station renovations

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Victoria Station renovations

Does anyone know how the disruptions at Victoria Underground Station will affect those arriving at the station as a final destination (not departing from the station)? I have read the Transport for London download (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...lator-work.pdf) which says to avoid the station between 1600-2000 on weekdays and it mentions things like lines outside the station, no ticket sales in the station, and delays getting to the trains. How does is affect passengers just wanting to get OUT of the station? We are with a group that will be taking the Tube from Heathrow to our hotel near Victoria (Premier Inn Victoria), in July, arriving at Victoria at about 1900.

When we return to Heathrow, we will want to get on the Tube at Victoria at 8 am (also on a weekday). Since this is outside the listed times to avoid, does anyone know if the station would be operating more normally , or would it be worth dragging luggage all the way to St James' Park station or Pimlico?

Since there are 17 in the group (teens , getting Just Airports or some other simple way to the airport is not really an option.

Thanks for any advice from those of you who are familiar with what is going on at Victoria Station!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM

A friend of mine going from the Victoria Station area to Heathrow on May 2 is concerned about the same thing, so I hope someone can clarify about traveling through that station in the early mornings during the renovations.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM

From the tfl site - when using Victoria

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...aspx#section-3

I would highly recommend getting on the tube at St James Park if you are trying to use the District Line (its about a 10 mins walk). Or it may be easier to walk to Green Park and just get on the Piccadilly line directly so to avoid any further changes. I think that may be a bit further but not too bad (its on the other side of Buckingham Palace. Tfl does recommend some buses on that link above that may cut down the time, but with luggage it may just be easier to walk with that many people.

8am is peak busy time which means everyone is trying to get to work. The station will be VERY crowded, and its highly likely you will need to stand in line just to get into the station. If you do want to do this be sure you buy your tickets from another station prior to this as it wont be possible that morning.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM

May 2 is a bank holiday so it shouldnt be that bad - but at 8am it will be peak travel time so very difficult to navigate, especially with luggage.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM

Sorry - 8am during the week - again May 2 should be busy but ok, depending on the time of day.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM

I was through there on Saturday, it was busy as normal for Victoria, the ticket office was open and there were queues but there were no obvious works going or sign of any works. Outside was easily navigated, busy but not impossible.
Both Victoria and St James's Park have steps to the District line platform. From either station go to Hammersmith and cross the platform to the Piccadilly line for Heathrow. In my opinion Green Park station is nightmare to navigate and outside the station is busy the pavement outside is narrow and for a group far from ideal. You nay as has been suggested want to buy tickets in advance.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM

For the love of all things holy, MAKE SURE you have your oyster cards sorted in advance of arriving at Victoria. They shut down the ticket machines and the queues at the ticket office are horrendous. It is a bank holiday that so the crowds won't be bad, but do have your oyster cards loaded or allow a lot of time at the station.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

We will plan to walk to St James' Park Station for the morning trip to the airport.

What about arriving from the airport at Victoria station during the evening -between 6:00-7:00 pm ? If all we want to do is get out of the station, would that be a problem during that time (that is during the listed "times to avoid.")
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM

"If all we want to do is get out of the station, would that be a problem during that time"

Well, it'll be crowded.

Getting out of a crowded tube station is never anything more than a nuisance. Getting in can be a nightmare if you need to buy a ticket - and overcrowding on platforms can mean access is stopped. They WANT you to get out: there are times when platforms just can't safely hold more people, - so getting out is positively welcomed. But still uncomfortable.