Where to purchase PAPER travelcard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming to London on the 6th and want to purchase PAPER travelcards so we can use the 2for1 deals at Daysout. I am too late to get them online as you need 10 business days to deliver. Can these be purchased at Heathrow?
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM

They weren't available at Heathrow when I asked in May. They can be purchased at Victoria Station-- scroll down about 3/4 on this thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35129357 where Succeed gave me detailed directions to the correct queue at Victoria Station.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can buy them at any London mainline train station . . . Paddington, Victoria, Waterloo, Charing Cross, King's Cross, Farringdon, Olympia, London Bridge, etc etc . . . .
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

janisj
is ther a website for the mainline stations? I think we are getting a car fro justairports to our hotel, but want to get a papercard the day we arrive. Hopefully walk to a minline train station from kensington olympia. thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM

Please read my post - <u>Olympia</u> was one of the stations I mentioned (just a fluke since there are many others I could have listed instead).

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM

This map shows all the railways in London. The thicker lines (apart from the orange one, which is now run by TfL) are run by the national/mainline companies rather than the tube (shown as thin lines):

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...onnections.pdf
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM

This one might be a little easier to read

http://www.afn.org/~alplatt/tube.html

The train stations are all the ones w/ the red symbol that look like a Z w/ two horizontal lines through it.

But since you asked about being walking distance from Olympia - that is the end of your search.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

you are right! the end and thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM

We took a car from Heathrow to our flat near Sloane Sq. We wanted to get the paper travel card the first day too, so we walked to Victoria Station and then took the tube back to Sloane Sq. using our new travel card.

The agents that sell the paper cards are just inside the station. There was a line but it moved quickly. There were actually 2 lines, but at the beginning of the line you want there is a card that tells you this is the line for TravelCards. There were brochures beside each window that advertised the 2 for 1 deals and you can find a coupon at the back that you fill out to turn in when you buy the 2 for 1 tickets.

I had printed out 2 for 1 coupons from the online site before we left home, but there are so many deals that I was worried we might decide to do one that I hadn't printed, so I printed a lot of extras. No need for this...just pick up several brochures and use the coupons in there.

The paper tickets were well worth the effort for us. We went to Hampton Court Palace, Tower of London and went to one of the theatre shows and the 2 for 1 deal saved us a lot of money.