Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Victoria to Euston station with luggage. Approx Time?

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

This question, though trivial it may seem, is pretty important for me to book my train.

I'm dropping off at London Victoria by bus from Brighton and then have to make my way to catch a train from London Euston.

It's just me solo with luggage (hopefully, I would still be able to pack it all into one suitcase. Can't fathom how they seem to expand as the trip grows longer).

How long should I give myself for transit between stations. Probably take the tube. It'll be a weekday around 10.45am. Any stairs I should prepare for?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:31 AM

Your bus will presumably stop at Victoria Coach Station, which is several hundred yards from the tube station.

journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk quotes you around 25 minutes - one of a range of buses to Victoria rail/tube station, then Victoria Line direct to Euston. Allow 30-40 minutes for time to wait for buses, getting your breath back, and so on.

One suitcase is not likely to be a major encumbrance to other people at that time of day, but there's a few steps, escalators and corridors to negotiate, so if you end up with more than one, you might need to splurge on a taxi.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM

Unless it is a budget buster, I'd definitely consider a cab. As Patrick says - Victoria Coach station is a fair walk from Victoria station - and the tube station is on the opposite end of the station at that. So you will have to walk about the equivilent of about 2-3 US city blocks to get to the tube station and then walk down crowded stairs (no escalator) to get to the tube station proper. You do have escalators underground - but it is a fair walk to the trains. You could take a bus the short distance from Vic Coach to Vic mainline - but you'd still have to negotiate the stairs/escalators. It is not a terrible journey - but not that much fun schlepping luggage.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Oh gosh, that doesn't sound too good, Patrick and Janis. I'm glad I asked.

I always assumed that bus/tube/train stations that have the same name would naturally be in the same complex or at least real close by. Guess that's not the case here.

Perhaps I'd leave my luggage back in London for my Brighton trip.

What about travelling from Baker Street Station to London Euston with one suitcase. How long would that take? Please tell me that there are elevators...
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM

Baker street and Euston are not on the same tube line and it can be a pretty complicated trip by tube. Just catch a bus at Baker St - it should take about 12-15 minutes to Euston.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM

Worse than that. The only way to get from B St to Euston is to take the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus and then change to a northbound Victoria Line. This connection is very badly signed, and you really have to ask an attendant: almost all the signs on that Bakerloo line platform point to the SOUTHBOUND Vic line, but don't specify that.

There are two flights of steps on that connection: about ten steps in each flight. Euston railway station is not the same place as Euston Square tube station, which does have a direct (though very steppy) connection to B St. It's about 200 yds from Eustgon Square station to Euston railway station: and the steps at E Square realy are a pain with luggage

BUT most stations are linked by easy-access bus. And buses - as opposed to coaches (which as you've discovered use Victoria Coach Station) - DO stop directly outside Victoria and Euston railway stations

As ever, www.tfl.gov.uk can bed fantastic, as the details in the journey planner section include walking distances, icons indicating whether steps or an escalator are involved and the precise location of bus stops.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Have checked out journey planner as advised, flanneruk. The website keeps telling me that my session has expired. Tried many times, before I finally reach the route screen, which was great. It seems to advocate what janis was saying about the catching the bus.

What's the procedure like for a bus journey with luggage? I mean, is there sufficient space to maneuver one suitcase? It's just me trying to heft one mega heavy suitcase and probably a backpack.

Do ya think it's going to be packed?Time would be weekday noon.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM

A local bus journey with luggage is no fun at all, particularly with a mega heavy suitcase and backpack. I have tried both bus and tube with luggage (although not as much as you will have), and found the tube easier despite all the stairs. But there's no question it's an easier connection to take the bus in this case. Just be prepared to stand all the way with your luggage.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:39 PM

we're working with you here on sorting out your transport problems -- but I have a question. Why are you schlepping a "mega heavy" suitcase? Especially when traveling alone - large, heavy luggage is REALLY difficult. I can't think of any trip that would require a mega heavy bag unless I was smuggling something
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

I wish I was, janis... Then I wouldn't have to worry about cost and just call a taxi. =p

I'm actually in town because I'm attending a 1-month summer executive university course in Paris. Accomodations is in the bare university hostels (have to bring travel hairdryer, travel iron for my suits, etc....)

Since I'm in that area, I plan to pop into London and enjoy the great musuems and hopefully catch a West End play.

So UK would be my last stop after 1.5 months. I've to pack for both Paris and London. Hence the heavy suitcase.

Thanks for all the help, everyone...
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:37 AM

Midday is not likely to be over-crowded, though between Baker St and Euston is always likely to be a busy route.

The problem about suitcases on buses is that there are different types of bus, some of which have little or awkward space for luggage (e.g., a space over the front wheel-arch, with a railing on top of that). I would hope London Transport has the nous to put the newer types of bus (they have larger open spaces for wheelchairs and baby-buggies in the middle, which is a help for people with luggage as well) on routes passing the stations - but you never know.

From Baker St, the 18, 30 and 205 go to Euston station. I'm reasonably certain both the 30 and the 205 usually have newer types of bus that allow more space. But you might need to scope it out on the day.

From Victoria Station the 73 bus goes direct to Euston, but if I recall correctly that is still normally an older type of bus on which a large suitcase could be a problem - and you would still have had to take another bus to get there from the coach station, although you wouldn't have so much in the way of stairs to negotiate.

From all of these places, there should be plenty of taxis around if, having seen the buses, you feel you really can't manage it.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Will be looking out at the bus stop with my fingers crossed that a new bus comes my way. Glad to hear that chances are high on the Baker-Euston route. Thanks, Patrick.