London morning/afternoon

Search

London morning/afternoon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London morning/afternoon

Hi all, We will be passing through London for a morning and afternoon on our way to Italy. We arrive at Heathrow at 6:30 and leave from Gatwick at 17:30. Must we drag our baggage (wheeled 22" bags) all over our sightseeing day? I don't imagine that we can take them to Gatwick and leave them until we fly out. Any suggestions? And does anyone have an idea for what we can see in that amount of time. I think that we will do the London-Eye and tea somewhere. What else is a must-see near by?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM

How are you planning to get to Gatwick? Using Gatwick Express from Victoria Station? If yes, then there is left luggage there:

http://www.excess-baggage.com/statio...s.php#victoria
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Endlessummer, Thanks . Train stations are so civilized!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM

To get from Heathrow to Victoria buy a one day Zone 1-6 travelcard at the Underground (Tube) Station at Heathrow. While you are there get a BUS MAP of central London as that also has the main sights & all the Tube lines marked on it

Take the Tube to Hammersmith, get off and walk 10 feet to the next platform then take a Tube train to Victoria.

From Victoria take a Tueb train to Westminster and leave via the Bridge Street exit (VERY IMPORTANT) in order to cross the Thames to see the London Eye.

As to what else is in the area - Houses of Parliament, Downing Street, Horse Guards, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, Cabinet War Rooms & Churchill Museum and there's a rather famous clock there as well.

If your flight is 5:30 then you'll be leaving Victoria at around 3:00pm at tyhe very latest. In which case don't get the Gatwick Express but get the Southern Trains - em train - to Gatwick which is a lot cheaper and only a few minutes slower than the GEX
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Hey AlanRow, THANK-YOU for the detailed description of getting to Victoria Station and all. That is absolutely the kind of info that I need. How about another question? When we return to London we need to get to Birmingham to visit some friends. What then? Will it be straightforward as to to how to get a train? Does it go from Victoria station?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:46 AM

Trains to Birmingham leave from Euston, which is a 4 stop ride on the Tube direct, taking the Victoria Line.

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx for a map.