London transfers: to/from Gatwick to Renaissance Chancery Court hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best way to travel to and from Gatwick and the Ren. Chancery hotel?
For arrival I prefer inexpensive over quick for we arrive at the airport at 9:00 AM and probably can't check in to the hotel until noon or later. A scenic route, although not a requirement, would be nice.
For departure I prefer quick over inexpensive for our flight departs at 9:00 AM.
Thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM

A scenic route from Gatwick to anywhere sounds a contradiction in terms. The cheap, slow way is the National Express bus to Victoria Coach Station, an unpleasant quarter-mile walk with luggage to Victoria railway/tube station, the nearest tube station, then a walk from Holborn tube. That'll certainly get you in well after 1200, but the nicest thing you'll see in the whole 3 hours journey is the hotel.

If you've got rollercases and nothing else, it's a stunningly pleasant 45-60min min urban walk (actually, one of THE great urban walks anywhere in the known universe) to the hotel from Victoria railway station (get the Southern train from Gatwick: it takes a few minutes longer and costs a few quid less than than the Gatwick Express) to Parliament Square, along the river then up Kingsway. Maps for this by inputting the hotel's postcode into www.multimap.com, then zooming.

If the luggage is too messy, get the Thameslink train (operated by a company called Firstcapital connect), which offers an intriguing "London from the backdoor" view - some of it wonderful - during the last 10-15 mins along the Thames before it gets to the City. None of its stations have a tube connection directly to Holborn, and several of its city-centre stops are tricky to get taxis from. I'd get off at London Bridge and get a cab from there for the best views.

To take a bit longer, save a few quid and get the least hassle tube connection, get off at London Bridge, then the tube to Holborn. There are Thameslink stations nearer Holborn, but they have messy tube connections, and/or are generally tricky to get cabs from

Coming back, taxi to Victoria then Southern train to Gatwick. But if you need to be there by 0700, and want the least hassle, get a quote from justairports.com. Normally, road to/from Gatwick's nuts. But leaving London around 0530, it's slightly less of a pain - though slightly slower - than the tube/train, and reliable. Not cheap: somewhere between 40 and 50 quid.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I arrived at the same airport and stayed at the same hotel a few years ago. We got off the plane, took the Gatwick Express and then the tube to Holburn. It seemed quick and easy at the time but we only had small carry-on cases to lug. Our room was ready when we arrived even tho check in time was listed as hours later. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Completely forget about "scenic". Ain't no scenic of any sort until you are all the way into London.

the only practical way is one or other of the trains that leave directly from LGW and drop you in central London approx 35 mins later. Surface (either a bus or car service) will take you much MUCH longer through some of the least scenic parts imaginable.

From which ever train station you stop in London - then you have the choices of tube, bus, cab or walking to the hotel.

If it were me - I'd probably go to Victoria and then take the tube (if I was on a tight budget) or a taxi. A taxi will take you past some major London sites.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What relevant, specific and, therefore, helpful information.

Now, for budgeting purposes, what's the best way to find the cost of these transfers, specifically, the trains, tube and taxi? Websites, guidebook, hotel concierge???
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

P.S. From the previous postings, I gather that car service is 40-50 quid. (I don't remember what a quid is.)
I have found a webite that seems to helpful in learning costs: <http://uk.visitlondon.com/travel/air...twick.html>.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Here's a link to London Transport - you'll find on here information re fares on the tube, buses and black cabs. If you're in London for a while and planning on using tube & bus, check out the Oyster card - it's a more economical and efficient way to buy multi-trips.

Black cabs are expensive, but efficient, and with the exception of peak times in the rain, usually always around when you need them.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

As for 'quid' - it's slang for pound!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM

The simplest (but not at all scenic) is to get the First Capital Connect train to City Thameslink station and take the exit on Holborn (NOT Ludgate). If you're arriving on a weekday, a taxi should be no problem from there, but you can also get a bus (8, 25, 242, 521) from the stop right outside. If your return flight's leaving at 9, you need to be at Gatwick for 7am, which argues for a taxi to City Thameslink.

Some slightly more scenic options for your arrival are:
No. 8 bus from Victoria station via Piccadilly and Oxford St (not my choice of scenic, perhaps), all the way to your hotel
or
from London Bridge the 521 all the way to your hotel past the Monument and St Pauls.

I think there'd be more room for luggage on the 521.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Here's what I've learned so far:

Transfers arrival,cost(GBP),time
nrth/srth mnrl,?,2 min.
imgrtn/lgag, 1 hr or +
train to Vct. (Sthrn),8/on.wy., 45 min.
Gtwk Exprs(in Sth trmnl) to Vict., 12/on.wy., 45 min.
tube frm Vict. to Hlbrn, 4.00 + 2.00, ?
taxi from Vict., ?, ?

walk from Vict., free, 1 hr

Thmslnk train to LndBrd, 9.80/on.wy., 40 min. +
taxi from LB, ?, ?
tube from LB, 4.00 + 2.00, ?

Transfers departure
txi to Vict. w/ Sthrn trn, 8/on.wy., ?
cr svc.(justairports.com), 40-50, ?

Does this info. sound accurate?