Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London -- Thistle Bloomsbury or The Selfridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Leslie

Both hotels have a great price for a single room over Thanksgiving for 3 days -- 36 pounds for the Thistle Bloomsbury and 45 pounds for The Selfridge. Prices include tax, but not breakfast. <BR><BR>So, which is the better property and location for walking in the evening, theatre, and museums? Also which hotel is easier to get to via the Paddington Express (with minimal connections on the tube)?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Topper

Topping for Leslie.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:39 AM
where

both of those prices are great - the Selfridge (attached to Selfridges Department store) is really central to all the shops on Oxford street (don't forget to visit St Christophers Place for restaurants) and close to paddington by cab etc.<BR><BR>Never stayed in the Bloomsbury so could not comment on that one.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Leslie

Thanks for your answer. By the way, I don't want to mislead anyone about the hotel pricing. The prices advertised are on Thistle's website, however, the prices I mentioned are for a single room.<BR><BR>Any recent comments about the Thistle Bloomsbury (its the one I'm leaning towards).?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:11 AM
bill

Haven't stayed at the Thistle but I always try to stay in Bloomsbury when in London (I use the Morgan if available). You will find the area to be much more peaceful than Oxford street and you will still have good access to everything (assuming the tubes are not still on strike!). Thistle Hotels have good reputation and do offer some good deals like this once in a while. I vote for Bloomsbury.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:09 AM
s.fowler

I don't have a map of London in front of me, but I do know that the theatre district is about a 20 minute walk from Russell Square area --I agree that Bloomsbury is a quieter location. I've walked by the B-bury Thistle -- it's an older building that looks well maintained. Unless the other hotel is much more luxurious and/or you want to shop til you drop -- I'd go for the Thistle.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Leslie

Bill and Sally, thanks for the information. I am going to make hotel reservations this evening at the Thistle Bloomsbury. Have no intention of shopping on this trip.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Leslie

I made my reservation this evening for the Thistle Bloomsbury for 3 nights, arriving on 28 November. Actually called the Reservations 800# to see if there might be a better rate than the 45 pounds that I saw on the website. Initially, the reservationist quoted me 160 pounds per night, and I then directed her to the Thistle website. The reservationist said that 45 pounds per night inclusive is the best deal she has seen in a very long time.<BR><BR>Anyway, got a confirmed reservation for 3 nights at 45 pounds per night, including taxes and full English breakfast. Breakfast was a surprise, as that was not mentioned on the website. Was also told that if a room is available upon check in, I can check in early. Check in is normally 2pm, and I should arrive no later than 9am. Was also promised at least a full-sized bed, but was told that it will probably be a queen or king.<BR><BR>Airline reservations were another issue, as there are no bargains right now. Haven't seen many discounted fares for shoulder season, and the best fare that I could find was $500. Decided to place a low ball bid with Priceline for $200, plus taxes, which I knew would not be accepted, but I was hoping for a reasonable counteroffer. And, one was offered about 3 minutes after I placed my bid for $279 plus taxes, $381 total, but I'll be flying from Boston to London via Toronto. Actually arrive at London Heathrow at the same time I would had I gotten a direct flight from Boston, but I now leave Boston 2 hours earlier.<BR><BR>Anyway, for under $600 for air and hotel, I think I did very well. The best price I could find with a package was through Go-Today, but with taxes and the single supplement, the price came to almost $800 and that was with a reservation at the 3 star Barkston Gardens in Earl's Court.<BR><BR>Bottomline, I've saved myself at least $200 and am staying at a 4 star hotel in a better location.<BR><BR>Now, I have to decide which musicals I am going to see. Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Simone

You did a great job with hotel and flights. My last trip I stayed in Bloomsbury to be within walking distance of most the theatres. Although not a musical, there is some singing in the comedy 'The Play What I Wrote' which reopens in November and is booking until January 2003. It won the 2002 Olivier for Best Comedy and is laugh-out-load funny. Check out the website for professional reviews.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Leslie

Simone, thanks for the reassurance and tip on 'The Play Which I Wrote'. I will definitely look into tickets.<BR><BR>Forgot to mention, that I will be flying on Air Canada.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:13 PM
janis

if you like musicals "musts" include My Fair Lady, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mama Mia. Also, if you haven't already seen them, Chicago and Blood Brothers.<BR><BR>You will be very happy in Bloomsbury - much more "atmosphere" than Selfridge.<BR><BR>I just got a mailing from Virgin with some good specials so am thinking of going to London around the same time for my annual theatre fix.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Leslie

Janis, I just checked one of the London theatre sites and see that Contact will be opening soon. I've seen Blood Brothers the last four times I was in London, so I think I might skip that one. Mamma Mia is a good possibility, as is My Fair Lady. Not sure about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as I wasn't really thrilled with the movie. And, its playing at the Palladium, where I saw Saturday Night Fever -- not one of my favorite theatres.<BR><BR>Just looked at the synopsis of The Play What I Wrote, and that looks promising (Simone's recommendation for a comedy).<BR><BR>By the way, I'm very impressed with Air Canada. Just called to see if my reservation appeared in its system. Very polite reservationist, who even secured seating for me on all 4 flights -- I suppose its a good idea to call close to midnight. Was able to secure the aisle seat bulkhead opposite the flight attendant's seat on the long haul flights, so I'm guaranteed lots of leg room. Was also told that my carry-on can weigh up to 22 pounds. Now I have to wait it out on the return flight from London and see if I can get bumped.