London Hotels

Aug 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

London Hotels

Looking for a London Hotel that is reasonable for just 1 night. Has anyone ever stayed at the Novetel Waterloo?
Aug 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM

I havent stayed there because I live here, but Waterloo is very central. Easy walking distance to parliament, Covent Garden, SoHo, London Bridge, London Eye.
Aug 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Chwck www.Londontown.com for good rates. I don't know what you mean by reasonable.
Aug 6th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Living in London, I don't know a lot about hotels. Novotel is a chain, so I assume it meets a basic standard of efficiency and comfort, though I suspect efficiency comes first.

More important from your point of view would be location. Where do you need to be near to? This hotel is just that little bit (15 minutes or so) further from easy access to most of the places visitors want to get to, and if you only have a limited amount of time, this can make a difference. It's on a rather dull main road, opposite the Archbishop of Canterbury's London residence and the Museum of Garden History: quiet, but hardly in the heart of the action and short of restaurants and the like.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Hi Gail -

I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Leicester Square. It's close to the tube, and you can walk to Chinatown and several of the West End theatres.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Oddly, I have.

It's extremely conveniently located if you want a pleasant walk along the river to catch a train at Waterloo, someone else is handling the bags and you're being driven to the hotel from your house (the fairly unlikely circumstances under which the "Waterloo" Novotel was the most convenient place in the world the night I stayed there). It's not really Waterloo: just another example of the hotel industry's resourcefulness in stretching relatively desirable-sounding location names

It's very inconvenient if you want a restaurant nearby. It's neither bad nor good as a hotel: just a perfectly OK, if slightly spartan, hotel (not tacky or cheap: Novotels just tend not to be overdecorated).

Some people might find the walk at night from the tube a bit intimidating: the nearest tube stations are all, by central London standards, remarkably far away and all routes available are rather empty.
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Gaily: You have received some good info. But to tell you whether the Novotel (or any other hotel) makes sense for you -- you need to tell us more.

• Where are you arriving from and leaving from? The airport(s) or train station(s) you are using could make a big difference.

• Do you know what you'll be doing/where while in London? This could make a very big difference re which hotels are convenient.

• What is your budget? "Reasonable" really doesn't tell us much - we need a number.