Best Area for London?

Search

Best Area for London?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Area for London?

Husband and I will be in London for our honeymoon Sept. 3-8. Just wondering what area we should stay in? We're both 29 and we'd like to be in an area that is central to everything.
Thanks!!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM

I'm afraid this isn't possible; London is a huge city and there are sights everywhere. Is there a particular part of London with the majority of sites you want to see ... maybe that will help with location. Also, what is your budget?
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM

If the budget is not an issue, Mayfair is very convenient. If you want to be close to museums, Bloomsbury is a good choice. If you want trendy restaurants/nightclubs, Covent Garden, Soho or South Ken are good choices.

Again, your interests, budgets and what you're planning to do would be helpful to give more specific rec.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM

IMHO-Mayfair-Mayfair-Mayfair. Spend a little extra if you have to. Plays, parks, sites-can walk and enjoy.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:07 AM

Hi Pippy,

I vote for Bloomsbury. I lived in London for 4 months in that area and have been back 3 times -- Bloomsbury is definitely my favorite. Being 29 (we're the same age , I think you'll want to be near Covent Garden (it's like SoHo in NYC) and the West End (for a play) -- these are both areas that are totally walking distance from Bloomsbury. Bloomsbury is also right smack in the middle of London (check out the Russell Square and Tottenham Court Road tube stops on a map) so you're able to easily reach any destination. Finally, with most hotels in Bloomsbury, you're within a couple of blocks of the British Museum. The hotels are also more reasonably priced than they are in Mayfair.

As for hotels in Bloomsbury, you should check out Montague on the Gardens, the Academy, or Hotel Russell.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations!

As was mentioned there is no one perfect area - and no area is close to more than a handful of major sites. But not to worry, because you can get everywhere from anywhere easily by tube/bus/taxi or on foot.

For a honeymoon, I'd be more inclined to find a hotel I REALLY liked rather than just picking a neighborhood. The places I'd look would be Knightsbridge/South Kensington (Close to Harrods, the museums, Hyde Park etc), Mayfair (not my favorite but it is upscale and posh.), Covent Garden (right in the center of the action and near many theatres, Trafalgar Sq, etc), or Russell Sq/Bloomsbury (close to the British Museum)

Another option is to rent a flat. Youcould get a really nice studio or 1 bdrm place for less than most hotels. Advantages include having a kitchen for late night noshing or breakfast in bed. Disadvantages include not having a concierege and some other services of a hotel.

But - before anyone can give you any useful recommendations for specific places, we need to know <u>your budget</u>
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM

I agree with Janis J. It's hard to give a rec without the budget. For instance, for a young couple's honeymoon, I'm inclined to suggest that you check out The Sanderson in Covent Garden (very hip) but it depends on your budget...
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

well since we'll be in europe for 3 weeks and we're starting off in london, we were hoping to spend as little as possible. I've saw that on the bidding for travel site that it's possible to get some 4* hotels for under $100 USD a night....something around that range would be great for us if we could get it! =)
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM

Those sorts of rates are only really available through PriceLine. PL is terrific for London and you can get very nice properties for about $75 - $120 plus tax, which is dirt cheap for London. But you can't pick a particular hotel, nor even a specific neighborhood since the bidding zones are fairly large.

So study biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com some more and then go for it . . . .
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM

I vote for the cozy/trendy Chelsea/Knightsbridge area. Feels like a very upscale small town within a huge, noisy city. Great shopping and restaurants, near the V&amp;A museum, and good transportation hub. I've been to London many times and overwhelming prefer this lively area!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:25 AM

Love London and agree with previous posters that there are many different areas that would be great to stay in. The tube is SO easy to use, as well as the buses.

Having lived in a dorm there, I can't recommend any hotels personally, but I know that my friend stays at the Sanderson for business all the time and loves it. Spoon (located in this hotel) is also one of his favorite restaurants.

Don't miss Camden Market -- such an interesting place
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:33 AM

There are many places that you'd enjoy staying in, but my recommendation to you would be to ensure that any hotel you choose is close to an Underground Station. We went in November, and stayed at a nice hotel in Mayfair, off Grosvenor Square, but it was kind of a hike to a Tube Station each day and night. It led us not to want to go out at night after we'd returned from a day of sightseeing.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM

I would recommend Earl's Court since there are tons of shops and supermarkets to get reasonably as well as semi expensive food stuff if that is your taste.

I stayed at the gardenview hotel and it was really very clean and comfy and I had a nice view of the garden.

I would NOT recommend bayswater as it feels very touristy and the accomodations I stayed in were horrid.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM

kgh8m - can you explain what you mean by &quot;a hike to a Tube station?&quot;

Grosvenor Square is about 240 yards south of Oxford Street, where 21 bus lines go to all parts of London. A 150 yards east on Oxford Street is the Bond Street tube station, served by the Central and Jubilee lines.

330 yards to the west of the square is Park Lane, where twelve more buses run.

For late night pub crawls, the N8 bus stops at Gilbert Street, about 120 yards from your front door.

Maybe you should tell the folks here what transit map you used - so they can steer clear of it.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM

A<u>bout</u> 150 yards east...
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM

When my husband and I were 29 and newlyweds, we stayed in Bloomsbury--and have stayed there about four more times. I went with my daughter several years ago and stayed in the Notting Hill/Earl's Court area at the recommendation of friends . . . and missed Bloomsbury. We found we were near Bloomsbury during the day--or at least not far away--and then would have to trek back to our hotel to clean up and rest, only to trek back to the theater district later. I have always regretted that choice.

We did get a good price on the hotel on that trip--but we found later that the hotel had bedbugs. Yuck.

My husband and I are returning next month, 26 years after that first trip, and will again stay in Bloomsbury, this time at the Thanet Hotel. He has stayed there before on business and liked it.

Yes, it would be nice to stay in a great hotel for your honeymoon, but my personal opinion is that London is a wonderful city for a honeymoon: stay out all day and enjoy the city. Find a hotel that's centrally located and don't worry about how many amenities it has.

Do make sure your hotel has a double bed, however! Sometimes &quot;double rooms&quot; have two twin beds.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM

oops--just saw that the original message indicated that the writer's trip is now complete.

I wonder where they did stay . . . ?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:34 AM

I see this is an old thread, but I've been asking similar questions so I thought I'd bookmark it for me!!!

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:34 AM

kwren: Just for future info -- instead of topping these old threads just for &quot;bookmarking&quot; purposes, it is usually better to either e-mail the thread to your self or save in your personal favorites/bookmarks
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:31 PM

I'm not sure how to save to my personal favorites here, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -