Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > London Royal Opera House - any ticket discounts?

London Royal Opera House - any ticket discounts?

Jul 4th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

London Royal Opera House - any ticket discounts?

According to the booking web site, the cheapest seats available are 46 pounds for the July 24 matinee performance of the Bolshoi Ballet's production of Swan Lake. I don't dispute that this price is probably reasonable considering the world-class reputation of the performers and the venue. I did read reviews, though, that these "cheap" seats (in the ampitheatre) are extremely uncomfortable and afford little chance to see much of the proceedings.

Can anyone comment on the seating arrangements at the Royal Opera House?

Are any tickets for this performance likely to show up at TKTS? I would only need one.

Jul 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM

For that price I think you will be in the main body of the Amphitheatre proper, where the seat and view will be fine. I think the very uncomfortable seats are just in the Slips. The website does highlight seats with restricted view and/or bench seating.
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM

If they did show up on TKTS they would cost more - the price plus a fee - not less. And for world class opera that price is an absolute steal.
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Some houses have lower priced tickets held back for purchase on the day of the show. When I was a music student in London, we'd often queue in the morning for same day tickets. Sale was not limited to students, but occasionally they'd run out.
I've seen this production--truly elegant and memorable. I hope you get to enjoy it.
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:00 AM

according to the Royal Oera House "tickets which are unsold before a performance may be made available at half-price to everyone."
Also of interest might be the tours of the opera house- on non-show days- at 10:30, 12:30 and 2:30 Mon-Sat. 8 spaces on the 10:30 tour are held for sale on the day starting at 10am. Cost is £8.
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:21 AM
yk

Hi WillTravel-

I looked at the Royal Opera website. Here is what I could find for prices & where the seats are:

Prices:
http://info.royaloperahouse.org/AfcS...eplan_2004.pdf

Seating Plan:
http://info.royaloperahouse.org/AfcS..._2004_Plan.gif

For 46GBP, the seats would be the "green" color ones on the seating plan.

I would agree that the tickest are quite expensive for those seats. The Amphitheatre ones are ok, the Lower Slips ones are less comfortable.

In the Amphitheatre, you may not be able to see the far back of the stage. In the extreme sides of the Lower Slips, you will not be able to see probably 1/3 of the stage.

Search this Thread