Resttaurant and theater ideas - London

May 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Resttaurant and theater ideas - London

I will be in London next week...still haven't made any reservations for dinner or theater. Any ideas would be welcome.
thank you
May 22nd, 2003, 08:48 AM

Well - there really isn't any reason to book theatre tix ahead of time. Attendance is way down so even the hottest shows have some seats available. Just go to the 1/2 price TKTS kiosk in Leicester Square and you will have a choice of the bests seats for most shows.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:32 AM

On the other hand, while I normally wait to get half price tickets, a few days ago I called the Savoy Theatre and booked front row center tickets in the dress circle (first mezzanine) for Arsenic and Old Lace. Since they were not only half price, but absolutely no service charge and they hold the tickets for me, they were actually cheaper than tickets at the half price booth which have a per ticket fee added on, and I got to choose my seats. You can look at www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk
for more similar deals.
May 22nd, 2003, 10:09 AM

Patrick, I hope you just have you theaters mixed up. Arsenic and Old Lace is at the Strand not the Savoy (unless it moved and I don't think so). We saw it last month, it is quite hilarious! We had 3rd Row Center, Orch. and really enjoyed this "oldie but goodie".
May 22nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

We were in London a year ago. (October) We went directly to the theatre about 2 hrs before showtime and got 5th row center for Les Miserables. We had been to other ticket booths and were told it was sold out! What an awesome experience!
May 22nd, 2003, 10:49 AM

I was in London last week. I wanted to see Chicago friday night. I spent about an hour going from ticket booth to ticket booth looking for good seats. Some said sold out, others had seats with questionable prices. I finally went to Adelphi Theater and got what i wanted. 3 hours before the show.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:26 AM

There is no reason to wander "from ticket booth to ticket booth" as previous posters have mentioned.
If it is half price tickets that you are interested in, PLEASE, go directly to the official TKTS booth at Leicester Square. Do not chance getting taken by ticket touts at those other places near Leicester Square which claim to have half price tickets.
There is ONLY one official TKTS booth. Those other tickets sellers frequently will sell you seats that cost more than you would have paid for them at the theater's box-office.
If the particular show that you want to see that day does not have half price tickets for sale at the official TKTS booth, then go directly to the to the theater's box office and purchase your tickets ( or phone the theater's box office).
The West End Theaters ,for the most part , are an easy walk from Leicester Square or a short tube ride away.
May 22nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Reg

Three current shows that are very hot: Three Sisters (has a star-studded cast), Sexual Perversity in Chicago (Mamet with Matthew Perry, Minnie Driver and Hank Azaria) and Jerry Springer, The Opera (don't laugh, I'm serious). As far as getting tickets to any of these shows, try your concierge. Lots of Londoners will be away next week due to half term.
May 22nd, 2003, 12:33 PM

Lori, thanks for straightening me out. Yes, you are right it is at the Strand, not the Savoy, but oddly enough the Savoy is the theatre I was thinking of when I called and booked the tickets. I guess I would have realized it was playing at the Strand not the Savoy before going to pick up my tickets before the show. At least since they're practically right across the street from each other, there wouldn't have been much problem, but thanks anyway!!!
May 22nd, 2003, 01:16 PM
bethanyboy

Was asking same questions about two weeks ago.... I've heard both sides now -- wait until you get there vs. book seats if location is important. Since you are so close to going, I'd probably wait until you get there and go to half-price booth. If you'd like to see what locations are available ahead of time, you can always go to ticketmaster on-line and check best available seats for a show --- they give you 5-10 minutes to make a decision before they release the tix.... good luck and have fun!