Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

london/paris bus/metro multiple day passes---purchase now or when i get there?

Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
traveler

hey you guys, we were planning on going on this trip next month and i was wondering if i should purchase bus/metro 3-5 day passes in advance because i will NOT be renting a car there since transportation is convenient. is it cheaper to do it thru some website now or should i wait until i go to london/paris? please give me your suggestions. THANKSSSS!

Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:28 PM
janis

There is really no advantage to buying these in advance. They are actually slightly cheaper in London/Paris.

Sep 25th, 2002, 07:55 PM
ttt

ttttop

Sep 25th, 2002, 08:06 PM
love the metro & tube

Plus the ones targeted at tourists which you buy ahead of time are a ripoff. In paris, you may be better off just buying carnets as you need them (packets of 10 tickets) as they're cheap & you may end up walking lots as a lot of the sights are in a fairly compact area . Someone else may be abel to help you with details of the multi-day passes in London as I can't remember.

Sep 25th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Ben Haines

At tube stations in Heathrow, Waterloo, and anywhere you can buy one day or one week two zone London travel cards, valid for tube, bus, and local train. The day card is 4 pounds, the week card about 18 pounds. For the week card you need a passport photo, and you fill in a form.

Welcome to Europe.

Benn Haines

Sep 26th, 2002, 05:15 AM
JET

When you get there - it is easy enough to do and also cheaper. In addition you may find that you need less than you think (eg in Paris where we certainly used less than we thought) thus saving money.

Sep 26th, 2002, 05:24 AM
janis

I always buy the 7-day pass after I get to London. But I never buy a pass ( or sometime even the carnet books) in Paris anymore.

I London you will take the tube (or buses) every day because the major sites are spread out over a large area. But in Paris the vast majority of sites are truly within walking distance of each other. Sure, Monmarte and a few other are spread out - but Paris is such a great walking city that in an average 5 or 6 day trip I usually only take the Metro 3 or 4 times.

London is also a great walking city - but you will probably take the tube a LOT more.