Local Trans in Lon, Par, Ams

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Local Trans in Lon, Par, Ams

Just returned frm a trip to London, Paris and Amsterdam. Some observations:

1. London has disconinued the requirement of a photocard for 7 day zone 1 and zone 1 & 2 travelcards which means there is absolutely positvely not the slightest advantage or need to procure same before going to London. The advantage of buying it in London, of course, is you can buy a zone 1 only and save £3...

2. Does anybody care in Paris...I was there on a strike day and for the most part, the entrance gates were opened and hardly anybody paid their fares. Also last Saturday when taking the RER to CDG, many people just vaulted the turnstiles and nobody seemed to care or do anything about it.

3. OTOH in Amsterdam it seemed to me there were more conductors than ever on the tram lines and people had to show their tickets rather than punching them in the yellow machines.
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:40 PM

One difference between London Visitor Travel Cards, marketed only outside of the UK, and Travelcards sold at every tube station, is that Visitor Travelcards can be used Mon-Fri before 9:30am whilst Travelcards bought in London cannot be. A minor difference of little importance for most, but a difference if landing at Heathrow Airport at 7am. On weekends there is no difference as Travelcards bought in London can be used anytime.
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Bob..

You could not be more wrong about this. You are confusing the 7 day London travelcard with the 1 day cards sold on weekdays at London Underground stations. The 7 day travelcard sold in London functions 100% exactly the same as the Visitor's travelcard. It is good 24/7 during the 7 day period of validity just like the Visitor's card. Please be more careful about posting stuff that you are not clear on.

Again folks because the 7 day travelcard no longer requires a photo, there isn't the slightest advantage of getting it in advance and I can think of several disadvantages.
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Thanks xyz123 for the heads up about the Tube photocard. I've just kept mine and reuse each time I go to London, but the info about not having to get one in the first place will useful knowledge for those traveling to London for the first time.
PalenqueBob.. the 7 travel card is , indeed, valid for use before 9:30 AM, whether it is the Visitor's version or the locally purchased version.
There ARE two varieties of 'daily' travelcards , however. The more expensive one allows travel before 9:30 on weekdays and the slightly less expensive one is valid only after 9:30 on weekdays.
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:04 AM

A few explanations about Paris to explain the open gates at the side of the turnstiles:
1. gates are open because nearly all locals and savvy visitors carry passes--weekly, monthly or annual. During rush hours, there is little point in delaying all by requiring passholders to pass through a turnstile. Mostly single-ticket holders use the turnstiles during rush hours and this is a very good thing.
2. turnstile jumpers are common, yes, but is it worth the enforcement costs to place cops the other side of every turnstile for a theft that ranges from under $1 for a metro ticket to under $8 for the RER CDG-Paris ride? It is a petty crime at worst and there are thousands of turnstiles. That said, on the RER in Paris, exit requires passing the same ticket used for entry through the exit turnstile. If the Metro adopted this system, turnstile-leaping would be reduced.
3. During a strike, gates are sometimes opened because without working ticketsellers, there is no way to buy a ticket for those who cannot use the coin-operated machines. Instead of denying access to transportation, all are waved through. This happens at museums, too, when their ticketsellers are on strike.

When I read your comments about Amsterdam, I see it is an example of over-enforcement for a fare that costs less than 1 euro.
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Intrepid

Apparently those "less than one Euros" add up fast enough that the transportation authority in AMS feels it is worth the effort, huh?