Mailing Euros

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:11 PM
kris

Mailing Euros

Ideas please. I want to make a reservation at a Paris hotel. (no charges accepted). They want me to mail a chek as a deposit for 135 euros. How do I do that when all I have is dollars?

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Patrick

My suggestion is go to your bank or AAA and get 150 in EURO Traveler's checks and send that. No problem if lost. It will add a little extra credit towards the deposit, and although you won't get a good exchange rate, it will still be cheaper than getting a check in a foreign currency or most other means of money transfer.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Mara

I had to do that a couple of years ago when it was still French francs. Went to Thomas Cook (in NYC) and bought a money order in francs. If you have a place like that it will be no problem, but expensive - the FF money order was about $55 US and the charge was $10.
Don't know where you are, but any big city should have such a service. Or ask your bank. Hope this helps.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Patrick

Exactly, Mara, I did that once two and it was outrageous. That's why I'd opt for the traveler's checks option. Even if the hotel doesn't normally take travelers checks -- you can be sure they will as a deposit.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Mara

Patrick - Never thought of the traveler's check idea! Have so gotten out of using them! But it makes sense! BTW, your trip report was fabulous.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Leslie

Go to the US Post Office and purchase an international money order. The fee from the Post Office should only be a few dollars. You'll also be able to purchase the international money order in the exact amount that you need it for.

You might also check with the hotel and see if they have a mechanism such as Paypal where you transfer the money to the hotel's bank account.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:43 PM
xxx

But traveler's checks eren't any good unless they're countersigned, so why would the hotel accept them? And if they were countersigned, there would be a big problem if thy got lost -- namely, they'd be cashable.

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Patrick

Well maybe you got me there, except that when I've done it, I countersigned them before I sent them and of course, they fill in their name, just as if I were standing in front of them doing it. As to getting lost and not being able to get your money back, I never knew that. I thought that was one of the "great" things about travelers checks which I never use except for these instances. But I guess you're saying that once you've signed it and someone steals it or it is lost, American Express won't replace it?

Sep 25th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Nutella

Okay, I have experience with this one, I had to do the same thing with a hotel in Italy. Unfortunately the US Post Office has discontinued international travelers checks for Italy - perhaps you can still get one for France. Then I tried Citibank's online service c2it.com. For $10, you can have a Euro check written for any amount and sent to your destination in France. You just give them your credit card number and it gets deducted as a charge. Unfortunately, a month later, the hotel never received the check. It took many calls and many headaches with Citibank to have the check cancelled and all my charges reversed. Lastly, I went to my local Amex office to buy a $100 Euro travelers check. I'm not an Amex Card holder, and the fee was $1.05. Including what the exchange rate was a month ago, it cost me $106.00. Amex assured me that I could sign both parts up front and mail it. And the hotel confirmed that they received it. Good luck!

Sep 25th, 2002, 07:02 PM
QUESTION

JUST ONE QUESTION. Why would anyone want to stay in a place that required money up front.? There are so many wonderful places that don't require money up front. Nothing is so wonderful that it has to paid for in advance. NOTHING!!!!

Sep 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
xxx

Gee, "Question", guess you've never flown before? Or gone into a museum?

Some of the nicest, smallest, most quaint hotels I've stayed in Europe have required payment up front. Why? Because as you can see from boards like this one, dozens of people book lots of hotels and then pick one at the last minute. I can't blame the hotels.