Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice is definitely the most romantic city...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:16 PM
SA

Just returned from a 3-week vacation (Paris, Venice, Cinque Terre, Naples, Rome). Venice was incredible. We spend 4 nights there and were very sad to leave. We loved its narrow streets, its friendly people, and its very frequent "kodak" moments. There is just something extremely romantic about that city.<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:34 PM
iLove

Agreed

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:05 PM
snowwhite

Enjoy it till disney shows up with their<BR>pirates of the caribbean theme park.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Wayne

Many people who have been all over Europe would agree with you. However, "romantic" is in the eye of the beholder, as you might suspect. I have a friend who thinks the most romantic place in Europe is Milan, because she likes the fashion world. I have another friend who considers London to be most romantic because he hasn't been anywhere else to compare. And I have a well-traveled friend who shares my opinion, that the title of "most romantic" is a tie between the two V's----Venice and Vienna.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Val

<BR><BR>Hands down, Venice is the most enchanting and romantic city in Europe . . . IF you get away from the crowds. <BR><BR>Otherwise, it can be exasperating.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:30 AM
SA

Yes, I agree--it's definitely in the eyes of the beholder. <BR><BR>Before I went to Venice though, I heard many bad things about it from other travellers (smells bad, congested with tourists, etc...), but when I got there, it was like walking into a postcard--unbelivably beautiful. Crossing over bridges and watching a gondola pass by with a man singing on it took my breath away. I wasnt' bothered with any smelly canals and in fact didnt notice any smells. In terms of the crowds, I enjoy people watching and don't mind having people around. When we wanted quietness though, we found many little side streets and piazzas that were almost empty.