London & Paris Travelcards?

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London & Paris Travelcards?

We are a family of 4 - kids are 10 and 16 anysuggestions which travelcard and/or museum passs we should buy before we got to London and Paris for the holidays??
Thanks so much
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Don't buy ANY of these passes before you go.

First of all - almost all museums and galleries in London are free, and the Paris Museum pass is available in all metro/train stations and at all the places covered by the pass.

As for transport - in London you can get really cheap family and weekend pases which are only available once you are in London.

And the Paris metro carnets/passes are easy to buy after you are in Paris.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply- I was stressing over this one for some reason!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Hi
Can you say how many days you will be in each city, and which days of the week they are?
Museum pass in Paris, absolutely buy it when you get there.
Travel cards are a different animal, I don't usually buy them and find that carnets work fine for me, but then I do a LOT of walking. I'm also not usually paying for a whole family to travel, and sometimes the family passes are a good deal. London has at least one for visitors that is better purchased before you get there. A little more info on your schedule would be good.

here are two websites

wwww.ratp.fr Paris

for London, I gleaned this info years ago from this forum
How to decide on a travel pass:

http://www.ticket-on-line.co.uk/info...ickprice.shtml (which shows the prices for people in London)
and www.ticket-on-line.com (for the online Visitors Travelcard bought before you go)
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Do NOT buy the Visitor Travelcards for London until you have compared prices with the Family Travelcard. Pricing for the former are at

http://www.britrail.com/cf_britrail/britrail_extras.cfm

and all the other fares are at

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/common/downloads/2004-fares.pdf

And if you want to save a bundle, you might want to get a Bus Season Ticket for £9.50 (kid £4.00) good for all of Greater London for a week. Your 16yo might be elgible for a "16/17 Photocard", in which case the child fare applies.

For Paris, check out the threads about "Carte Orange" and "Mobilis" cards. The "Paris Visite" card they sell tourists is not a very good deal.