Search

London Overnight: where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Overnight: where to stay?

We arrive at Heathrow at 10:30 am and depart the next morning for Marrakech at 8 am (and are pretty much doing the same thing on the return: arrive Heathrow around 2 pm; depart for CA at 10:30 the next day).

My question is this: should we stay at a hotel near the airport and just take the tube into town each day to sightsee a little (we spent a week in London a couple of years ago, so have a general idea of where we'd like to go) or should we stay in town and trek to the airport? My main concern is the 8 am flight...we would need to be at the airport by 6 am I think.

And...if we stay near the airport, does anyone have a hotel recommendation?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

stay at airport no doubt - there is a phalanx of hotels on the perimeter and one connected right to terminal 4 (either a Sheraton or a Hilton, Hilton i think but someone will know.

Just not practical without taking an expensive cab from London to have to be there dependably at 6am.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM

You could always go into London, but I don't see much point in it since you're coming from a very long trip from California. I'd stay in an airport-area hotel on the way to London and just sleep off the jet lag so you're fresh for arrival in Marrakech, but I'd try to find something in London for the way back. (If you want to go into London, you could do that easily enough on the Tube, and there are buses to nearby Tube stations from the hotel so you don't have to go back to the airport.) The cheapest of the Heathrow hotels is the Ibis, but it's not the most convenient. The Hoppa hotel bus is not free, by the way.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Stay at the airport. Hilton is connected to Term. 4 and it is very convenient if you are going to be leaving from Term 4 early in the a.m. It's not the cheapest hotel, but we thought it was the most convenient when we stayed there. There are no free hotel shuttles incidentally, so if you stay in one of the other a/p hotels you will need to use the "pay" Hoppa Bus or a cab.

We've taken the tube into London when we stayed overnite at the Hilton and it was no problem.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Also from in front of the Hilton there is an air bus that goes in a few minutes to the nearby Feltham train station for direct trains into Waterloo station in London, right in the heart of town. More comfy than taking the tube but only goes to Waterloo of course, which though is a short walk from many major sights.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I'd agree to stay at an airport hotel on the way over. But I sure wouldn't stay there the whole time. Arrive at 10:30 AM and check in to the hotel by noon, then what? Sleep for 18 hours? Watch TV in a hotel room? Take a nap for a couple of hours and then be bored all late afternoon and evening and not want to sleep that night? I'd head into the city for an afternoon and early evening of activity. Count me as one of those people who needs not to sleep on arrival or I'll be jet lagged for days.

Want something totally different for the return? Take a taxi to the Petersham Hotel, not far away. Stretch your legs by taking a walk along the Thames Path which is right there. Have a wonderful dinner, maybe a massage. A great ending to the trip before boarding for the flight home the next day.
http://www.petershamhotel.co.uk/
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Theoretically, you could also ride the Heathrow Connect* to Paddington, grab a shower, see some sights, turn in early, and ride the Heathrow Express out the next morning. You can be at Terminals 1-2-3 in 15 minutes if you stay at the Paddington Hilton.

*I chose the HC because (I think) you can add on a Zone 1 Travelcard - transport pass - for £1.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM
alg
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great recommendations! It sounds like the Hilton is the best bet for the first overnight. We typically don't sleep after the long flights...just try to stay up past dinner in a somewhat sad attempt to adjust to the new time
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:42 AM

you can get good results at www.priceline.com but check out www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com to see how to use that website.

the savings are huge on london hotels. people post their winnng bids so you can get an idea of what the savings might be.