Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we pack rubber boots for Venice 10/26-11/2?

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Do you folks pack rubber boots just in case? Or, if Venice floods, are reasonably priced rubber (not fashion) boots available? Also, our adult son wears 13-14 shoes - suppose such a size whould be available?

Hate to pack them & lug all that extra weight around Venice!

Thanks, Julie
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM

As soon as the sirens sound to warn of an approaching aqua alta the rubber boots come out in many shops! They're not expensive and come in all sizes. There's also a sort of heavy-duty plastic bag that ties at the top, with a rubber sole that you can buy from lots of the street stalls. Many of the hotels also have boots for guests. We took boots with us when we went for all of December a few years ago. We only wore them for one morning and decided that next time we'd just buy them there as they're SO heavy and cumbersome to pack and carry.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks maryk for your response. I so dreaded packing those heavy boots. based on your info, sounds like we can be supplied in Venice if the need arises. hopefully, hubby & son (adult) will concur! if not, i'll be sure to haul around my "lighter" suitcase! hehe

by the way, i know they will ask me this - do you remember the cost of the local boots & plastic wear?

Julie
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM

As I recall, some hotels actually lend them to guests.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Hi Julie, not all of Venice gets flooded. You can enjoy many parts of Venice that are not flooded if the acqua alta happens. And actually it is quite interesting and in a strange way it can be fun!! Enjoy Venice and your time in Italy
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM

I have a feeling that the proper boots were around 20euro (that's a guess and it was December 2004). If you need them head for the main shopping strip leading from the Rialto towards Dorsoduro where there are more 'normal (as opposed to tourist) shops. The tie on plastic ones are only a few euro - but they look awful to walk in.

Loveitaly is quite correct in that not all Venice gets flooded. The lowest parts - the Piazza and around the Rialto will flood first. They put up raised walkways for you to walk on so you'll never be completly stranded. The other thing is that as the acqua alta is tidal it only lasts an hour or 2.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Our hotel supplies boots for guests - of which we utilized! The boots came knee high - the water on me was thigh high. What an experience! Happy travels...
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:16 AM

I had a very bad (and fun) acqua alta in early December last year. Had been to Venice in winter or about 10 times before but that was the worst. It affects first San Marco area, the lowest part of Venice. I started off Cannaregio area, at ancle high, water got deeper just before Piazza san Marco it got really thigh high. Well I'm 5,8 so for some people it may be only knee high. Take a look at the following album I took. Some people are wearing neat rubber boots rented from their hotel. Bright colored bag like ones are those you can buy at many shops on the street. I think I paid mine €15 then.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...20Acqa%20Alta/