London in February/March?

Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

London in February/March?

Have been trying to plan trip with my mother for 6 months - her schedule and mine make late winter a perfect time to visit London. Another advantage is we could get great deals on air and hotels. Certainly don't expect sunny warm days, but is the weather so miserable as to make us feel the same? Any negatives other than weather aabout visitng at this time of year? Thanks.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:57 AM

It's impossible to say gail; you could be knee deep in snow, but on the other hand, it could be just a little cold but sunny. We have had some glorious sunny days in March. And if it's cold; there are plenty of indoor activities in London.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:03 AM

No guarantees for this year - but we went last February and experienced spring like weather the entire week - it never rained and we rarely needed out coats...it was beautiful!
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM

Gail,

I went in January of this year, and although we had some rainy/very cold days, there were others that were very pleasant (for winter) to walk around in.

On the rainy days, we did museums and churches and other indoor things, and on the nice days we did the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Windsor Castle, and walked around the city.

It worked out fine - and there were no lines at all at the main tourist spots, which was great!

Karen
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:06 AM

We also experienced spring-like weather in February. Hyde Park was adrift in crocus beds - walked everywhere and slept with hotel windows open! I realize we had pretty good weather luck, but locals we spoke to indicated things were not all that out of the ordinary - have a great trip!
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:21 AM

last winter WAS a mild one. Obviously the later into March you can go, the better.Expect it to be cold with its fair share of rain but London doesn't need good weather for you to enjoy it. We went to Rome a couple of years back in February and the weather improved during the time from torrential rain to just pouring. Despite that we really enjoyed Rome, you will find the same in London!
Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:19 AM

Went in late February this year and experienced terrific weather in London. Never rained, crisp, fall-like days.

I usually go in March and have never experienced bad weather (every year for about the past ten years). However, if you plan to go to Scotland while there, bundle up!
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses - looks like late winter/early spring is a real possibility. Weather can't be worse than we have at home in Boston!