Champagne France Travel Assistance

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Champagne France Travel Assistance

We will be traveling to the Champagne region of France for 2 days and are looking for suggestions as to how best to spend our time. We are interested in touring a couple of the champagne vineyards and would greatly welcome any ideas as to how best to spend our time. Thank you so much!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
visiting the great champagne houses takes alot of time, so wear comfortable shoes and it's chilly underground. Piper Heidsieck has a small train that takes visitors around.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Take a tour at Pommery, one of the few champagne houses with crayeres (chalk mines). I think their tours are by appointment only. It was very interesting! We stayed (and dined) at Gerard Boyer - Les Crayeres and it was fabulous! (and fabulously expensive - but well worth it!) Let me know if you want more info.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Did you need reservations long in advance for Boyer's restaurant?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

If you could only pick one champagne vineyard, please recommend. Does anyone have any experience with the Moet champagne tour?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM

Do not forget to visit the much painted cathedral in Reims. French kings used to be crowned there.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:18 PM

We also stayed and ate in Boyer and that i think is top of list to do in this region. I reserved the room and dinner thru their website. I did it around 2 months in advance.

Veuve Clicquot was also interesting. Better than wine tour in Napa. The Chalk mine was very interesting to see and it's just a short walk down the street from Boyer.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I did my reservations via email also. I forget how far ahead - but I think it was about 2 months also. www.GerardBoyer.com
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM

The city of Reims' website has lots of info about touring champagne caves and other important facts. It's at: http://www.ville-reims.com/ (click on British flag for English version)
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Do you remember how long one of the tours takes? We have reservations at Veuve Clicquot at 2 pm. Wondering how many other places we might be able to visit before we catch the train back.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:05 PM

muglich - took the tour in veuve and it was around an hour and a half to 2 hours. i would it think it would also depend on the number of people in the tour and how many questions they would raise.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:57 PM

I've taken 2 tours of champagne caves, Taittinger's and Mumm's. Both were excellent, fun and interesting. In favor of Taittinger were the few remnants from a Roman church that were excavated.
Neither of the tours included the vineyards, we drove to Epernay and some small towns for that.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:44 AM

The Moet tour (in Epernay) takes about an hour and a half. We didn't book in advance (just turned up), but had to wait for the next tour. Epernay is a pretty town to wander around though.

No, the cellar tours don't include any vineyards, but you can get a map of the 'Champagne route' from the tourist office (in Epernay it is just over the road from Moet). It is very easy (and very picturesque) to follow these routes and drive through the vineyards yourself. Plenty of the smaller producers have tasting signs up on the way - better deals available here!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:55 AM

If you can, at least eat at Boyer. It was the most wonderful dining experience I ever had. If you stay there, have them arrange for you to visit some of the 'private' houses - those you need an introduction to. They are Bollinger, Roederer, and Charles Krug. I loved the Pommery tour and the Taittinger house, and Roederer was the classiest (we got in thru a friend mmmmm Cristal). IMHO, Piper was a bit like Disneyland. I think two a day - one in the am, have lunch, and one in the pm is enough. All the houses have gift shops were you can buy assorted paraphanalia (sp) and champagne. If you go to Eperney, go to the gift shop at Perrier Jouet, the best thing I bought was a great baseball hat and a glass champagne bucket.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:44 PM

We'll be in Reims on 9/5, a Fri. Would we need a reservation for lunch? Perhaps at Le Vigneron or Vigneraie. Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:02 PM

Can anyone tell me if the champagne houses in Epernay are walking (or stumbling) distance from the train station? We are going to Paris for a Honeymoon October 5 and want to take a side trip to either Reims or Epernay.