Weather in London early March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of traveling to London March 6 to the 13. What is typical London weather in early March?
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Anything from cold enough for snow to lowish 50s. Possibly windy, possibly not. Probably a bit of rain one day - possibly lots for about half the days, and possibly none at all. Might be spectacularly sunny, might be cloudy.

Almost certainly all of the above (except, perhaps, freezing temps) at some point in any first week of March.

As a matter of interest, why does it matter?
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You won't know until a day or two before you travel. UK weather defines the word "Changeable".

Could be cold, cool, pleasant, rainy, sleety, sunny - or all of the above in the space of 24 hours . . . . .
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM

was posting the same time as flanner . . . .
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Wondering what to pack, what is the average daylight for that time of year? It is our daughters spring break and thought London would be a fun place to go.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=136

Take layers (that is what you'd do year round)
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Layers, an umbrella and a warmish (but not arctic), possibly waterproof coat. March is rarely freezing, never hot, most likely on the cool side with fairly high chance of rain and wind.

The clocks haven't changed to BST (British Summer Time) yet, so expect it to get dark about 5ish, I should think.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM

"Wondering what to pack"

Six months beforehand?

About three days before you leave, check on the BBC's weather forecast. That MIGHT be only 50% inaccurate. Any serious speculation any earlier is a complete waste of time.

On March 13, it gets light shortly after 0600, God's time, absolutely everywhere in the world. It also gets dark shortly before 1800, God's time, absolutely everywhere in the world.

London, almost uniquely among major capitals, observes PRECISELY God's time from the end of October to the end of March.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM

>>London, almost uniquely among major capitals, observes PRECISELY God's time from the end of October to the end of March.<<

You'd think the Almighty could be a bit kinder with the weather, then.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM

I guess I just don't get this question, which, however, comes up a lot.

I have been in various parts of Great Britain in March and most other months and have dressed the same for each trip. My clothes would be the same as what I would wear at home in Northern California. Same cotton pants, same type of shirt, same shoes. I pack a sweater for the cooler months, wear the same jacket. So in my opinion it really doesn't matter much.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I assume people still pull it up while doing research for upcoming trips. The reason why people ask such questions mostly is because they are inexperienced travellers - no sin in that - and probably don't want to take unneccessary or ineffective clothing. Luggage space/weight is often limited and one doesn't want to waste precious weight on something they don't need in their suitcase.
I agree with Kate's response here, that is to take clothing that can be layered, a folding umbrella and some lightweight wet weather gear which can be rolled up and stuffed in your day bag. If you want to limit the amount you take, choose items which are manufactured from man made fibres. When you need to, you can wash them in the hand basin in your hotel room and hang on a portable hanger to dry over the bath (please consider hotel staff if they need to clean around such thigs)
I think if you are going to comment on these sorts of sites, you should at least try and be helpful or not bother replying. Flanneruk, I have seen some of your other comments and you can be a little be unpleasant in your responses. Lighten up a bit!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM

One goes to London for many reasons - but the weather is not one of them.

Simply make sure you have a sturdy folding umbrella and comfy waterproof walking shoes. Have lots of different layers - so choices for the different temps you are likely to encounter.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM

afterbanns: Seems weird -- registering to top a really old thread about weather of all things -- mainly to chastise another poster???

Couldn't you have found a more recent thread to top since we get a couple of these every week . . . .
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM

flanner might be a bit heavy at times, but he gives excellent advice in common sense language. With London you can't tell. Strangely enough , we've been to the UK and London at least 50 times, and I can only remember getting caught in 1 heavy rainstorm in London. Sprinkles yes and once in the Lakes District we ran into flooding but that was it.The weather gods must smile on me!
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:04 AM

"You won't know until a day or two before you travel. "

If you are lucky - personally I just go with the flow and decide what to wear just before I go out - and what I wear may different between morning & afternoon let alone evening.

About the only guarantee in March - probably - is that it won't be bikini weather and it won't be ski weather - probably - though I'm of the opinion that in the UK it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Several years ago (2008), while in London during the Easter holidays (end of March), I experienced rain, sleet and hail along with a thunder storm all in a matter of hours. It snowed in Salisbury on Easter.