Reload this Page >

london in february

Search

london in february

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:14 PM
mark

london in february

I am thinking of taking my family to london in february(4 children 9,10,12,15). Am i nuts? Seriously, anyone out there have any suggestions on the best locations to stay or on the weather. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Carol

If you're nuts, then so am I! I just booked a February trip for our family of four (10 year old twins) mainly because it's an affordable time of year to go. I heard the weather is rotten (cold and rainy), so we'll be prepared for it. We have so many things we want to see (London, Bath, York, Warwick Castle), I don't think the weather should be a big deal. I'll be interested to hear some suggestions though!<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Helen

I will also be in London Dec &amp; Jan, with 2 teenages. We are from Australia leaving 40C and looking forward to it. We were there 2 years ago, dress in layers and take a folding umbrella. You will have a fantastic holiday without the crowds.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:02 PM
supermom

We visited London last Feb for 8 days and it wonderful. No crowds. Got theater tickets at half price ticket booth several times for shows we wanted to see. We took the automatic pilot train out to Greenwich and found that to be a great all day trip. We did London Walks tours; &quot;the eye&quot;, Tower of London and so on. Kids will love London-there really is a lot to entertain them. It was chilly the entire stay and it rained one day. Layer and have an umbrella in your back pack

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Sylvia

Just wanted to put in a plug for the record shops on Oxford Street. Any teenager's gonna love that! My favorite is the HMV store near Bond Street tube stop. Covent Garden is indoors ( including the theatre museum and the transport museum), and there's any number of plays and musicals to see, even in the afternoon. Be sure to buy an imported copy of &quot;Time Out&quot; while here in States to see what's on.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Maureen

I am also a crazy February traveler - my husband and I and our 2 daughters, 13 and 5, are going to England for Feb. vacation next year. The weather might be rotten, but I live in New England so it will probably be a smidge milder than what we're used to.<BR><BR>I've been hunting for hotels and finding all kinds of stuff, but very difficult to find family friendly places - several websites only had options for &quot;adults&quot; per room.<BR><BR>We will only be there for a week (can't afford lodging for more than 7 days). I was hoping to see a bit of the country, as I have friends near Stratford On Avon, but we may have to stick to London just so we don't spend our whole trip in a car or bus or train.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:26 AM
crazytoo

Crazy too! To Maureen - have you tried booking a flat for a week? It's much more comfortable with a small family and oftnetimes less expensive.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>I have on disc a file of things that parents on this forum have said their children aged about 11 liked. I can gladly e-mail it to any of you.<BR><BR>Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM
xxx

Be sure to go to the Natural History museum. Many great interactive displays.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:48 AM
lm

If you do need something to do on a rainy day for 4 kids, I suggest going to the London Trocodero (Piccadilly Circus tube.) It's an entertainment/shopping center with video games, simulator rides, restaurants, etc. Even if you have fine weather in London, it's a nice break for kids after a day of cultural stuff. The Trocodero even has its own entrance from inside the tube station so you'll never get wet! I also recommend getting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. It's great having a fridge and microwave for leftover take out pizza, rotisserie chicken, chilled juice,etc. Have a fun trip.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 11:38 AM
Mel

Yup, add me to the &quot;crazy&quot; list. I've done it before and working on doing it again next month. I'll take London at any time of the year. I'd rather be cold and damp there than cold and damp at home!<BR><BR>Just take a waterproof coat, a lightweight, compact umbrella and a good attitude. London will do the rest!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 01:02 PM
Casey

Hi, <BR>I took my 12 year old daughter for a short trip to London last Feb. and I went back with both of my kids (12,19) this Thanksgiving..<BR>The weather is not perfect- but there are almost no crowds, the fares are cheap, hotels are discounted and many of the things that you do are inside. Living in NE- the weather was better than staying home!<BR>We had a great time.We enjoyed all of the typical tourist attrations. We ordered tickets ahead of time to Lion King and Macbeth. We all enjoyed both.<BR>The whole thing was a great experience and I got all 3 plane tickets for less than the price of one in the summer!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:50 PM
margaret

I strongly recommend London Rooms which offer a directory of places to stay in London at discounted rates.<BR><BR>Also friendly service. Try them. We did and found a fantastic deal!<BR><BR>www.londonrooms.biz<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Thyra

Guess we are all nutty... we are leaving on Feb 11 for London, York and Paris... we usually travel in March, when it is nice, rainy and deserted!!! Can't wait to experience February.. we've been travelling in winter SO long that I expect an uncrowded, rainy Europe.. it's SOOOO Much better then hot, congested, and more expensive! You will love it. May we all have safe and wonderful trips.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Susan

Another nut - This year we are taking our two kids (12 and 15) to Rome/Florence/Venice during their February school break; last year we took them to Paris and London and the year before that we just did London! We are from New York and each of the past three two years we have had warmer weather in Europe than in NY. It is a great time to travel. Not many lines (although major sites still do have crowds), and you can get theater tickets easily. We have been lucky and have not had rain, but if you get rain, don't worry, there are so many indoor sites! Go to the British Museum, the Victoria and Albert, Hampton Court... get the point! Our kids loved London and insisted on us going back last year. Have a great time!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
Susan

Sorry, I forgot to tell you about a great place to stay with a family. We love Scala House. It is a hotel but all of the &quot;rooms&quot; are two bedroom apartments. They have a website and you can arrange everything via email. We stayed there both times we traveled with the kids to London. The location is great (near Goodge Street/Tottengham Court tube stations). The family that runs the place are wonderful and the apartments all have one and a half baths, 2 bedrooms, a living room/dining room, and a full kitchen that has a combination turbo washer/dryer. The place is great and it is affordable.