Search

London in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London in April

I'm planning a 5-7 night trip to London for my daughter's 16th birthday. Looking for advice on a 3+ class hotel, near a Tube stop. My daughter is interested in shopping, and seeing museums and castles. This will be our first trip to London.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM

What budget did you have in mind? How will you be arriving in London (which airport or station)?
What sort of shopping does your daughter want to do - Ultra up-market designer or more pocket friendly fashion (i.e. Gucci Fashion or High St Fashion).
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM

There are around 150 tube stops in London.

I would recommend Mayfair as that has couture shopping moments from Regent/Oxford Street's high street offerings. However, Mayfair doesn't really have any three star hotels. However, you could use priceline to bring a four/five star within your budget.

Your daughter - if she's into couture - will love South Molton St.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Walter/m_kingdom -

Thanks for the prompt reply. Price is not that big of a factor. I saw some 2-star hotels on a websearch, so I definatly didn't want that.

We can fly into Heathrow from Newark and will be using mass transit.

My daughter would love to check out the (I guess you call it) High St Fashion.

Someone suggested that I try the Mayflower Apartments, have you heard of them? Are there any hotels near Notting Hill (she's a big fan of Hugh!)?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM

eyps,

I will let the folks that know more, give most of the advice.

But I just wanted to make sure you understand that the number of stars does not equate to quality, but to specific level of features in the hotel and rooms.

Keith
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I have not stayed there but have taken note of a place called Guesthouse West on Westbourne Grove, not far from Notting Hill.
http://www.guesthousewest.com/map.php
The street has some trendy shops and is near 3 tube stops.

Another place to consider is the Darlington http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html

The Holiday Inn Mayfair is well located and also gets good reviews if you want a larger hotel.

The Mayfair apts on Charles St. only has one not very good review on tripadvisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html
There are many good aparttments though if that's what you'd like. You might do a text search here for London apartments. Look on slowtrav.com for apt. reviews.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM

HI Mayfair will do for position, and probably on price too.

Notting Hill is overrated, and the area itself isn't exactly central, and it's a little media trendy, it's lacking in pedigree. Stick to Mayfair for your first trip.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Do understand that m_kingdom's mantra on here is that Mayfair is the ONLY place worth staying in London.

I would not stay in Notting Hill -- a little far from most sites. But that is where the Portobello Rd street markets is on Saturdays and you and your daughter might enjoy that.

But I would also not recommend Mayfair either. Mayfair is a lovely, upscale neighborhood, w/ few if any bargain accomodations. And the shopping is definitely toward the high end. But my main problem would be it just isn't the best area for sightseeing or shopping geared towards teenagers.

I would stay in South Kensington, or just north of Oxford street, or maybe in Victoria.

S. Kens has a lot of good shopping, the V&A museum and not far from Harrods. there are many recommendations on here about flats in South Kens.

Oxford St is the busiest shopping street in London. It would not be my choice for a leisurely London stay, but it would be a great area for a kid's shopping trip.

Look at Scala House (there are lots of comments about it on here already) it is an apartment bldg just off Tottenham Court Rd which is walking distance to Oxford St, the British Museum and Covent Garden.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM

If money isn't too much of an object why not consider the Basil Street Hotel. It is steps away from Harrods - where your daughter could probably live for a week, just around the corner from a tube stop and in the middle of Kensington shopping. It has a private club for female residents only - what a neat way to introduce your daughter to London. And it is so English and so wonderful. Here's the URL: www.thebasil.com/

You can get a lot of suggestions on things to see from this site, just do a search. Some of the things your daughter and you might enjoy: the Tower of London (particularly the Crown Jewels); a behind the scenes look at the theatre in London at the Theatre Museum - here's their internet site http://www.theatremuseum.org.uk/default.php. On the page they also have things organized for kids.

You can also do a Theatreland Walk, or one of the London Walks - perhaps Jack the Ripper? Going to the theatre is lots of fun and you can get an idea what's on and what's hot at www.londontheatre.co.uk/.

If she likes mysteries Agatha Christie's 'Mousetrap', although a bit touristy, is still a lot of fun. Seeing one of Shakespeare's plays in the Globe Theatre might also be a treat.

You can't go wrong with London's Museums - some of my favourites are: the National Portrait Gallery - particularly the lower floors where you can see often controversial portraits of members of the royal family and pop stars. The British Museum is, of course, magnificent, but is very large. You may just want to pick a particular area to focus on. The Victoria & Albert is like your aunt's overflowing attic, lots to see in the way of knickknacks and textiles. The Courtauld Institute has some amazing Impressionist paintings and the Imperial War Museum has a lot of displays directed at young adults. Don't miss the Holocaust Exhibit on the top floor.

If she likes the drama of reality television she might enjoy half a day or even a few hours spent at The Old Bailey, where you can see the English legal system at work. The lawyers and judge are still wigged and it can be very odd, thought-provoking, hilarious and strange.

You might also check in 'Time Out', London's magazine about what's going on in the city, to see whether there are any fashion shows/presentations you might attend. Perhaps she could get a makeover or hair cut at a famous salon.

If she's thinking about her future and whether university is for her, you might take a day trip to Oxford or Cambridge, to let her see the English version of university life.

I know you will have a wonderful time. Please post your trip report when you return.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:02 AM

Learn one thing real fast: there are a LOT of "mantras" on this board about where to stay to including the one about "South Ken"

You might take a look at TripAdvisor for some recommendations which are just as "unbiased" as any you'll find on here IMO.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:23 AM

It's very hard to recommend a hotel without a budget. I like to stay in Knightsbridge or Chelsea when I visit with my daughters. The Basil Street hotel is a good suggestion. Also 'l Hotel, in the same street. Doubles from 120 pounds, wich is a good rate for that area. I've also stayed in the Millenium Sloane Street, where you can sometimes find rooms for under 100 pounds. Rooms are quite plain, but the location is great.

I can also recommend My Hotel Chelsea. It's in Brompton Cross; very pleasant, lovely hotel (wonderful beds). It's a residential area with very good shops and restaurants, a short walk to South Kensington Station.

I lived in London for 9 years, and these are the places where I like to stay, but everyone has their own favorite area of London. It's easy to get around on the tube to see everything.

Portobello Road is nice on Saturday's. As for museums; all depends on what she likes. My daughter's liked the British Museum and Natural History Museum.

And if she likes shopping, she will love Topshop in Oxford Circus. Zara is good too; several shops in London.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Just wanted to add a note in here if I could. This is a very helpful site and your knowledge about London is priceless to a first time visitor! My 19 year old daughter is studying abroad (Nottingham University) and I will be visiting for 2 weeks in April. Please keep up these wonderful tips and suggestions.
Besides London, is there any "must sees" near Nottingham that I should take my her that are not too hard to get to ?(I will not drive a car over there)....Thanks! Mary
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Intrepid1,

On this board you can click on the person's name and quickly learn their bias.

On Trip Advisor you don't know if it was posted by the business owner or their worst enemy. Or how many times they psted.

Keith
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:30 AM

tamcgolf, your Nottingham daughter may be the best source of advice about things to see in and around the area, but the 'official' information is at
http://www.visitengland.com/destinat...gham_City.aspx.

There's a castle
http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/wha...ums/castle.asp

as well as all the Robin Hood hooha

It's not far from some lovely countryside in the Derbyshire Dales.