Search

London help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London help!

Hi!

So my friend and I will be landing in London on November 10th and have 3 days in London before we jet off to Ireland. Neither of us have ever been to London so we are both so excited. So I have a couple questions:

1.)Can anyone recommend a nice place for dinner? we want something nice but no too expensive, like no more that $30 a person for food. We want to go somewhere nice as we have both bought new dresses so something slightly dressy.

2.) Also any recommendations on just good old pub food??

3.)Any recommendations on what to see? I know we are going to see the touristy things like the London eye and Buckingham Palace, but what else? We are both so clueless on what is there and don't really have a lot of time before we leave to really look. So hopefully someone how has been there or lives there can recommend places to see and things not to miss!

4.) We are both young (25) and would like to head out somewhere one night to maybe a fun pub, club or a wine bar? Any kind of place that is fun!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I think you're in for a nasty case of sticker shock.

There simply isn't a restaurant in London where you could eat fancily for £15 a head, in fact £30 a head would be pushing it.

Also, young people tell me, that clubbing is horribly expensive. Get a copy of Time out when you get here and look through it's listings for something that appeals to you.

You'd probably like a night out in Hoxton/Shoreditch; Notting Hill or Camden Town.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:46 AM

You will be floored by the prices in London! Our family of five were in London in January and we spent at least $20 per person for a pub lunch! We did have a nice dinner at Porter's English Restaurant in Covent Garden. The menu is very British and we spent around 30 pounds per person.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM

There are a bunch of fixed price restaurants (lots of ethnic foods) around Covent Garden that will probably fit your desires and be close to fitting your budget.

Click on Destinations (above) and then on London and you will get the full 'A list' of things that are 'must sees'.

We are a lot older than 25 so our tastes will obviously be different but the theater is always fun in London and they sell half price day of performance tickets to shows on the push list at the TKTS booth in the middle of Leichester Square. Check it out and see if they have anything that interests you.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I am a bit alarmed about your budgets. How much were you budgetting on paying per day including accommodation?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Good luck on the dinner, I don't know any place dressy for dinner for 15 GBP.

However, as to what to do -- if you don't know anything about London, you can buy a London-specific guidebook and browse through it on your flight over. You'll have hours on the plane. There are lots of good companies with London guidebooks. Timeout is a good one and would have good ideas about going out, also.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Has anyone analyzed the time and expense of flying between London and Ireland vs. surface transport?

I so loathe airports and enjoy train/ferry travel it would be a no-brainer for me - but what have others experienced?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is even worse than that - $30 is only a bit over &pound;14. There are <u>lots</u> of places you can get a cheap meal - but not many (any? ) that are the least bit dressy. Even just lunch in one of the nicer museum restaurants will be over &pound;14 for a full meal.

I am also a bit concerned about your budget for the trip. Ireland is not cheap and nice meals in Dublin and some other places will be nearly as expensive as in London.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM

A really cool place to go where young people hang out is Momo's in Mayfair. It is a couple of doors down from the Ice Bar (which is also cool to go into before or after Momos.) Go to Momo's cafe - not the restaurant. It has Moroccan cuisine I believe - you can eat there pretty inexpensively although I don't exactly remember how much. We get a &quot;sharing platter&quot; which comes with appetizer type stuff of veg., meat, or combo with hummus and other dips and breads. It is really good. The atmosphere there is great with the moroccan music, lighting, and furniture. I highly recommend it as a memorable experience. The Ice Bar is an Absolute bar made entirely from ice - the bar, chairs, glasses, everything. They put you in a heavy insulated poncho like thing before you go in and you get an absolute drink while in there. You see lots of hen parties while there. We frequently take friends in town to visit to both places.

As far as your new dresses go - even though you don't have a huge budget, you still can feel quite at home in a fabulous new dress. I find that women in London frequently look fashionable and dress up a lot. Many moms pick up their kids at preschool in an outfit I would wear to a wedding shower.

As far as what to see - I would list the following:

Tower of London - this is an old castle and houses the Crown Jewels. You can take some pics of yourself in front of the Tower Bridge.

Westminster Abbey - right across from Big Ben and Parliament

Leicster square and Trafalgar square - just walking around and seeing these places. The National Gallery in Trafalger Square is free and you should pop in to see the paintings.

Covent garden - go to Punch &amp; Judy's pub where young people will be.

My husband loves Madame Taussad's Wax Museum although I have never been there and I think it gets a lot of poo poohs on this site. I think a young person may find it hillarious to take their picture with Jennifer Anniston or John Travolta or someone equally as famous.

You may find some 2 for 1 offers for sites - I can't remember what the rules are for using them but look up 2 for 1 London and see what comes up.

I would seriously get a guide book and start reviewing where you are interested in going and how much it is going to cost you. There is plenty of free stuff to do in London as well if your budget is tight.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Covent garden - go to Punch &amp; Judy's pub where young people will be&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

No no no no no no no!

The Punch and Judy is honestly the worst pub in London. I cannot begin to describe how vile it is.

Think of a sumo wrestler's jock strap after a 24 hour flight. It's worse than that. Much much worse.

Independent reviews:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...nts.shtml/582/

sample:

&quot;I'd rather hammer rusty bolts into my own face. Is it possible to give a rating less than zero?&quot;

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM

That may be true about P&amp;J's, but every time I walk past there are lots of college age types hanging out. My 19 year old niece really liked it. My husband entertains his 20something employees there. OP is only 25. . .
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Check out London-eating... lots of specials, 2 for 1 or 50% off deals.

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/offer...-and-under.htm

you will have to register and book online however
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Check www.fancyapint.com for pub reviews.

If you're interested in a bit of history, Mr. Pickle and I had dinner with Cholmondley_Warner at the George Inn. It's the last galleried inn in London and has quite an interesting history. It's not fancy, but the food is good and it's in your budget.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Subright, my 24 year old just returned from a week in London and really enjoyed the London Walks walking tours. (see walks.com)

They also have some &quot;pub crawls&quot; in the evenings. Their schedule might be a bit limited in November, but check it out.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Konaki is a Greek restaurant where you can get a really good, traditional 3 course meal for under/around 15 gbp per person, exluding drinks. It's homey rather than fashionable (as other posters have said, you won't get stylish and dressy for 30 gbp), but it was packed with suits from late 20's to mid 40's the night we ate there.

It's literally around the corner from the British Museum, which is free and a must-see IMO.

Fabric, 93 Feet East, and Cargo are a few of the the big, well-known, mainstream clubs in London. Most clubs have myspace pages, you can get some club names from listings online and then look them up on myspace to see if they interest you, what events are going on, who's DJing, etc.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I'm really excited about the ice bar that where2 suggested. My friend actually did book us a dinner that probably will cost us around $50/person, so thats not bad. We didn't want anything real dressy just something better than a pub but not the ritz. Thanks for all your help. We leave next Friday so very excited!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

where2, do you have to make reservations to go into the ice bar for a drink? I was just on their website and I saw about reservations or is that just for the belowzero place?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Hopefully this won't double-post. I just typed up a long reply and the site crashed.

The reservations are for belowzero but THAT is the place you want to see. The bar is just a regular bar. The ice experience is in belowzero and your entrance fee includes an absolut drink. I know they CAN get fully booked (I think usually in the summer and on weekends) but every time I have been there I just show up and get into the next &quot;seating&quot; which is not really a seating but they let everyone in at the same time for a certain amount of time - I don't know if it is a half hour or so. If you know exactly when you want to go, make a reservation or call from the hotel and make a reservation. Otherwise, I am sure in November you won't have a problem getting in (esp. on a weekday) and you can have a drink at Momos while you wait. Both places are memorable.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Sounds like you've got some good plans, but some tips that might be useful given your budget: Places like Pret a Manger are great for takeaway sandwiches, salads, etc. My typical meal there is around 4-5 pounds. The grocery stores have a lot more prepared sandwiches and other foods that are inexpensive, and I love getting meals from Marks &amp; Spencer. I actually thought London was one of the cheapest places I went in the UK and Ireland this summer, because I knew where to go to eat fairly inexpensively. There are lots of threads on this on the boards.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM
nia

Yes, London will be pricey but you are guaranteed to have a blast. You will definetly save by buying food at the markets. I highly recommend going to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, and Camden Town. Also take the Hop On Hop Off bus tour. I'm young too and I had a fabulous time. As for places to eat and clubs to go to, I would ask the locals- who would better know than the people who live there? This is what my friends and I did.