London: Grenadiar Pub

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
ChatNoir

Any rants or raves?

Info I found is listed below, but I'm not sure its current. Anything else close by to combine in a single visit? I thought I might drop by after or before the Wellington Museum.

GRENADIAR PUB. 18 Wilton Row, Belgravia. Tube: Hyde Park Corner. Famous London pub, and reputedly haunted, the Grenadier was once frequented by the Duke of Wellingtons officers on leave from fighting Napoléon. It pours the best Bloody Marys in town, and filet of beef Wellington is always a specialty. Great neighborhood as a mews pub with a cozy nd "undiscovered" feel.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit hard to find, but worth a stop for a pint.
Easy to then shop at Harrods or a walk in the parks. You could also have dinner here if you wish. No place to park, so hope you are walking.
Believe it or not, they serve Budweiser on tap.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rave, BUT, it was long ago. The outside was draped with wisteria and had a sentry box out front. Inside, money bills from different countries were laquered to the ceiling. A walk through Old Barrick Yard.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:58 AM

A definite rave from me - I've been here 3 times on different trips to London and have always enjoyed this pub. It is VERY small but has a good restaurant in the back. The walk down the mews is fun and the pub has a very picturesque frontage. Famous people have a tendancy to visit also, last time I was at the pub I drank a pint shoulder to shoulder with Kevin Costner!! If you're into Georgian architecture, walking around Wilton Crescent is fun. The pub is in a great area for shopping (Sloane St, Harvey Nichols) and I would highly recommend Apsley House for a visit. Enjoy!!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:31 PM
ChatNoir

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to try and connect many of those great sounding places with an area walk.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:10 AM

If you're interested in doing a london walk, the Original London Walks group does a Belgravia pub tour and one of the stops is the Grenadier. I live in the area and have done the walk and found it to be interesting.

london.walks.com
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:45 AM
ChatNoir

Buster, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Very hard to find, but we had a very enjoyable visit a couple of weeks ago. We didn't eat because we were a little late and the kitchen had just closed, but the food looked really great. If we hadn't been leaving for home the next day we would have gone back for a meal.
Well worth a visit, hope you enjoy
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM

As long as you are in the area you should also visit "The Nags Head" right around the corner from "The Grenadier".Here is a link for more info.
http://www.professorharbottle.co.uk/.../nagshead.html