Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Returning Visitors to London - how to entertain?

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have some friends visiting from the US who have been to London more than once before. We cannot be with them all the time, but would like to suggest some new/different types of things to do but are struggling. They are in their thirties, active and independent. Has anyone got any good ideas for something that doesn't revolve around the standard attractions? We have seen self guided tours on the internet, but cannot find anyone who has tried them. Has anyone had experience of these - or got any other inspiration?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:26 AM

We enjoyed doing a self-guided walk of "The Canals of the East End". We took the underground to Limehouse and then followed Limehouse Cut, the R.Lee Navigation, the Hertford Union, and then Rgent's Canal. It was not only a delightful peaceful walk, but also interesting for the development happening and the various types of industry, often changing to housing along the way. We had lunch near the Green Bridge of Mile End Park -- another interesting area as part of that walk.

Another time we got a folder on "hidden garden walks" mainly in the general vicinity of ST. Pauls, etc. That was also quite interesting, mainly finding small landscaped squares and sometimes private gardens you wouldn't expect to find on your own.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM

How about a bicycle tour? I went with London Bicycle Tours last year and had a good time. http://www.londonbicycle.com/

Keith
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:56 AM

there are about a million and one guided walk books on sale in ordinary London bookshops. I like the ones by Andrew Duncan - well researched and easy to follow and they show you things that you don't (even as a Londoner) get to see otherwise.

What sort of things do your friends like doing. There are all sorts of off-the-wall type things on in london such as open days at sewage farms etc (perhaps not my best suggestion ever). Give us an idea of the things they like and I am sure we'll think of something.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Greenwich is great to visit. Market is great-best on the weekend. Great bars and pubs.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Hello. Thanks for the ideas so far - Greenwich sounds good - I hadn't thought about that, tho not toooo sure about the sewage farm! They enjoy being outside and making their own way around 'discovering'. They are particularly fascinated by British History, especially where it's to be found out on the street, rather than an exhibit in a museum. They like 'odd stories' too - they think the British are really eccentric! They've done all the changing of the guard type of stuff tho, so some themed types of more unusual walks could be really good.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:02 AM

A recent guest of mine did a bluebrolly walk - basically you download a guided walk via your pc onto your Mp3 player and walk around listening to it. I recall they did a walk between a number of City Churches, might be worth a look at www.bluebrolly.com (I think that's the address, google will no doubt help if it's wrong!)
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:10 AM

If they have not been to the Geoffrye Museum I'd really recommend it. It's not a place visitors usually get to on their first or even second trips. We loved it when we visited.

How about suggesting some day trips, perhaps to places that are not so touristy. We took a train to Ely one day and I swear we were the only tourists in town, there is a great cathedral there too and the River Ely.

Are they into castles? Arundel makes a nice day trip as well, plus it's a very pretty train ride down there and not as touristy as some of the others.

We took the train to Norwich (just because it was there) from London one day. Again, we did not encouter many tourists there and we had a great time wandering around.

Greenwich is great, we always love it and the Maritime Museum is a nice place to spend some time (an added plus is that they have nice restrooms there ... an important fact of life when out for the day).

We've also enjoyed wandering up and down the many streets in "the city" area, there is alot of history there as well. They might enjoy a visit to the Bank of England, we sure did !!! Nice museum, very interesting and there is also a gift shop.

A walk along the South Bank is always nice too, cross at Tower Bridge and go through Hays Galleria and all the small streets out that way. Lots of nice places to have lunch along the river too. There is also St. Katherine's Dock/Marina area near the Tower of London. It's a lovely area and not alot of tourists find it (we stayed in an apt. out there on one of our visits and loved the area).

They might consider visiting Southwark Cathedral too.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, the walks you describe - were they from a book or something else? You mention a folder for the St Pauls walk? Thanks
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Pausanias

We used to enjoy going out to St Albans for the Roman ruins and the Cathedral.

I always make a point of visiting the Inns of Court, particularly Temple Church, when I'm in London.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM

something a bit different is the dennis Sever's house - especially the silent tours. These aren't well known and are very evocative (try the tour on the website):

http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/

Lord Leighton's house is also pretty darned spiffy:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/LeightonHouseMuseum/general/

Also at the moment the Museum of London are offering guided tours of London - which i intend to try myself. They certainly look good.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:01 AM

I also recommend St. Albans, the Roman ruins are great and it's easy to get up there as well. Nice view from the Clock Tower too.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone - this is just such an amazing site. I'll be spending time on the internet so they can have a list of choices when they get here at the weekend. I'll let you know how they get on - Greenwich and St Albans are def. looking promising - and if nothing else, I will be going to the Dennis Severs house - it looks absolutely incredible! Thanks again
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Vinopolis?

London Eye (if they didn't ride it previously)

Borough market

Spitalfield market (haven't been for years myself but I hear it's still good)

And there are soooo many little museums - real oddities. I have a book called Weird Europe that lists a few incl one that's not too far out there - Sherlock Holmes Museum.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM

How about some of the guided walks offered by London Walks (www.walks.com). They have so many different ones to choose from, and it seems a good match if they like to learn off-beat, eccentric things about London.
Also, a boat ride on the canals of Little Venice, and a tour of Camden Lock. I haven't been to London yet, my first trip is 3 weeks from today, but I've done a lot of research! Hope this helps.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
vcl

Find them a copy of Britain's 1000 Best Churches and turn them loose. If they love history they'll enjoy Temple Church, St. Bartholomew the Great, St Paul's Covent Garden, St. James Picadilly, St. Martin in the Field, St. Mary Abbott or St. Clement Dane.
Send them over to Camden Market and suggest they take the canal boat to Little Venice.
Encourage them to wander about Regents Park. Or tell them to start off in St. James Park behind the Horseguards and walk through the parks all the way to Kensington Palace. That will keep them busy for a day and leave them pleasantly tuckered out.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM

On our recent visit to London, we enjoyed The Garden Museum (near Lambeth Bridge), The Royal Mews, and the late night bus tour of London. A spectacular church that no one seems to know about (not even the cabby who took us there!) is St. Stephen Walbrook - it's billed as "Wren's finest church" and I think that just may be true! And, be sure and send them to the "Britain at War" museum (near "the London Dungeon" - shudder).

I usually love the London Walks tours, too, and highly recommend them.

Have they gotten tickets and attended the "Ceremony of the Keys" at the Tower? If not, I'd add that to the list, as well.

Greenwich was very interesting on our trip in 1999.

Day trips to Windsor, Hampton Court, etc., could be great.

How about going for a horseback ride in Hyde Park? Years ago, my husband and I were able to book a ride from a nearby stables - can you still do that?

I bet you'll come up with enough ideas to last them several months!

Gayle
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM

I forgot to mention the Duck Boat Tour, too - it was much better than I anticipated. I highly recommend the first tour of the day (10:00 AM) on a weekday - we had the tour to ourselves! (See my recent posting about our trip - just click on my name to find it.)

Gayle