London - cheap basic hotel link

Apr 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

London - cheap basic hotel link

An article in travel section of recent section mentioned a new et of cheap, small, basic (you get the idea) hotel rooms. Seeing as how London is a higher cost hotel location (Priceline does help), this link may help some. I've not seen them mentioned here.

And if anyone has stayed/heard more about them, please add comments.

Cheers

www.easyhotel.com

Apr 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Oh my goodness I was just thinking about my experience there!! I stayed there for two nights april 4th/5th with my boyfriend because it was just a mini break and we didn't want to shell out for a 'real' hotel, and yet we didn't feel comfortable going to a hostel.
I wish I could post the video of our room - if anyone knows how, please let me know as it is hysterical. It's basically a 6x7 room, the bed is enclosed by walls on all sides except for a small portion of the end (to get onto it) and the bathroom is one of those wet rooms where you basically shower over the toilet. there is poor ventilation and no windows (which I didn't think would bother me, but it is very eery when you're sleeping not to have any sunshine to wake you up).

Also, it's basically the ryanair (excuse me, easyjet) of hotels. there are 2 towels, extra ones are 1GPB each, extra pillows are 2GBP each. Having your room made up (if requested)is 10GBP. Breakfast is not included, and luggage storage was extra. There is a TV in every room but you need to buy, literally buy (you can take it home with you after) a remote that is good for 24hrs from the time you first active it as is 5GBP a pop.

All in all it's one of those hotel stays where we laugh about how tiny and awful it was. We paid 35GBP per night for 2 people. I do think we could have got a slightly better room somewhere else on the same street as other hotels were advertising the same rate, I would have perfered a window at least.

Also, the Victoria location in London was excellent.

Again, if anyone knows how to put a link to a video, I would love to show you all.

I would only reccomend this hotel for people who are deciding between a hostel and a hotel.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Here's a vidoe that's on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZj7vF8kPR0

Warning - do not watch if you are claustrophobic!
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

There have been a few students here asking about doing Europe on the cheap, so maybe for them...

The article was not quite as 'descriptive' as you have been. May not be quite the cup of tea for the Fodor's crowd )
Apr 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

What, no fresh flowers? Well, the video says it all. It is for a...less discerning crowd.
Apr 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM

that room in the video is bigger then the one we stayed in.

Apr 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM

That space reminds me that years ago, I went to London without reservations but had read about a Salvation Army "hotel" just down the street from Buckingham Palace and got the last 'room'. The tube stop was St. James. I think it was 10 pounds a night with breakfast. Bathroom/toilet was down the hall. The room had a single bed, more like a camp cot, there was no window but a transom over the door to the hall, no wardrobe. Stretching out my arms I could touch both sides of the space.

I liked it - Australian gal across the hall and I got chatting in the line for the showers and ended up roaming around London together as we were both on our own. At end of the week they moved me to the newer section where I had a window.

The staff were all very friendly. The only tv was down near reception. The front door was locked fairly early at night but they didn't mind letting you in.

They were under a demolition order so it was gone next time I was there.