Cumberland Hotel London Hyde Park area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel recently? Is it centrallly located to many of the London attractions? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:29 AM

My son stays there and likes it a lot. It's on the central line--if that's back in operation--just above the marble arch stop. It is being renovated and about to become a Meridean hotel. He got an 80 pound rate in april and it may still be in effect. Expect it to be far closer to 200 pounds plus once the renovations are done. New rooms in modified Delano, all white and glass style with plasma tvs. It's pretty spiffy.
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hi
Let me suggest that you do a search right here for the hotel by name, and also look at the London hotel rants and raves comments elsewhere here at fodors.com
I was looking into this hotel recently myself because of a B.A. package, and I saw some mixed comments which discouraged me from it a bit. The experience may have a lot to do with whether or not you get a renovated room.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:36 PM

I'll be staying at the Cumberland for a week starting this Thursday. I got an unrenovated room on Priceline for $60/night. I called the hotel to confirm my reservation and also ask them about the condition of the room. They assured me that it is still a decent room. I'm not expecting luxury, of course, so it sounds fine. The location is a good one, I think.

Anyway, I'll report back here next week about my experience there.
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I will be staying at the Cumberland in July. I called to see what the renovated rooms cost and they are over $150 now. Is there anyway to get one of these rooms cheaper ( I too am to stay in an older room)
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:01 PM
mps

I stayed at the Cumberland in a regular room (non-Art & Tech) in January. This was my first time at the Cumberland but for years I have stayed in the area. The room was a double, small but comfortable and had a very nice bathroom and staff gave us a room overlooking Oxford St. (some street noise). Our rate included a full breakfast which was excellent and worth at least $10-15 each. I booked through londonhotelreservations.com which has good London hotel rates (most include breakfast) and they quote the full amount including 17.5% VAT. They take your credit card details but you are actually charged by the hotel when you check in (check the cancellation policy). Currently for the Cumberland, this service is only booking Art & Tech rooms at a rate of 99 GBP. If you search by area, you should be able to find hotel rooms in the Marble Arch area for 70-75 GBP.