London-- B & B or hotel???

Dec 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

London-- B & B or hotel???

Will be spending 3 days in London with 2 girlfriends after spending 2 weeks in Ireland and we are looking for a great place to stay in the middle of things so we can sightsee using tube, buses and walking. Hoping for 1 room with 2 double beds. Don't want it to cost a fortune as we won't be in the room except to sleep--any advice or suggestions???
Dec 10th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Check out the Arran House Hotel (www.london-hotel.co.uk) in Bloomsbury. There are quad rooms, but you can save a bundle if you're willing to stay in one of their hostel-style dorm rooms.
Dec 10th, 2005, 08:24 AM
MaureenB

Try londontown.com

Dec 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
MaureenB

Try the Hyde Park Radnor Hotel/B&B. It's in a nice neighborhood, across the road from Hyde Park, and less than 10 minutes' walk to Paddington Station. Nice restaurants and pubs in the area. The quad room is tight, but has four twin beds and a decent-sized closet. The bath is small, but new and clean. A full hot breakfast is included. We reserved it through londontown.com.

Dec 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I used Priceline to get my London hotel, Thistle Charing Cross. Got it for $125 (taxes included). Great location, very nice hotel, and wonderful room. My room had a king bed. This hotel is priced much higher if you book directly with them. When I did my research, I felt priceline was the best way to go for me. I used biddingfortravel to help me do my bidding.

Monica
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM

PS: I forgot to say the hotel is in an excellent location, right above the Charing Cross station/tube, around the corner from Trafalgar square and within walking distance to covent garden and other great sights.

Monica
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Not so typical to find 2 double beds in a London hotel room and when you do, they're really doubles, not queens. It is true, some b & bs will have quads with 4 single beds.

You might consider getting 2 rooms from Priceline or an apartment might be another option. Here's a fairly recent thread on apts.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34714749

Here's a thread on budget quad rooms

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34696990
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM

You might want to look at the Copthorne Tara hotel. They run some good specials. It isn't right in the middle, but it is right off of Kensington High Street. Best of all, the rooms are larger than the usual London hotel, and it is in a quiet location, on a side street about 1/2 to 1 block from the Kensington High Street station.
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace for two nights a couple of years ago.

It was 99 GBP per night.

Four twin beds (I know, not two doubles, but maybe that would work for you).

The hotel is literally right next to Victoria station. (No, I couldn't hear trains running all night, and I was there in early September, so the windows were open.)

The room wasn't very big...just the four beds plus about 3-4 feet between each bed (two on one side of the room, two on the other) - about 6-8 feet between the "feet" of the two sets of beds. A tiny closet.

A GREAT shower. Bathroom of average size (no tub).

Clean. Nice people.

The breakfast is pretty basic - cereal, toast (make-it-yourself), coffee, tea. They also had little packets of several kinds of cheese and a couple pieces of fruit.

Not high-class by any means, but fairly inexpensive and more than adequate.

I didn't know about Priceline for London at that time, so I can't say whether I'd go back...my guess is that I'd try the Priceline thing for the general vicinity where I wanted to stay and see what I got!

Have fun!

Gayle
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Oops...just checked my own trip report (from September 2004) and discovered that the hotel I referenced cost 90 GBP...not a huge difference, but I hate to steer you wrong!

Gayle
Dec 13th, 2005, 12:45 AM

There is a page of bed and breakfsat rooms with quads at:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/accommo...mily_rooms.htm

Most such places charge about 100 GBP with breakfast, though the City Hotel at Aldgate near Liverpool Street Station at this time of year has quads for 60 GBP and gets good reviews.

Also advise looking at the Travelodge UK web site, they do good value specials at most of their Central London hotels for 46 GBP.