To Dublin or Not to Dublin

Dec 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

To Dublin or Not to Dublin

DH and I are leaving in March for our first trip to Ireland. We are flying round trip from Chicago to Dublin on AA. I would have preferred to fly open-jaw into Dublin, out of Shannon, but at the time the prices were higher, and the flight from Shannon involved a layover in Boston that we didn't really want to deal with.

Anyways, we will have 8 nights and I have received some wonderful help on this board regarding my itinerary. Now we are wondering if Dublin is a must? I've read enough about Dublin on past posts that its supposed to be a great city. However, after our recent all-city trip to Paris, we were hoping for more countryside and were only going to allow one whole day in Dublin. Now I'm wondering if its absolutely necessary? We are considering spending an extra night in the Connemara region, and driving to a hotel near the airport for our final night. I know, to each their own, but in opinions do you think it would be terrible to skip Dublin?

Thanks!
Tracy
Dec 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM

tcreath, I like Dublin, but find it very expensive. With your short time, I'd stay in the beautiful country side. Save Dublin for your next trip.
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
CU

Sure while you are there in the capital why not have a look around. When you return home you will be sorry. Fly into Dublin, have a little rest and then go and hop on the city sighting bus, go back and have a good meal, off to bed, up early following morning and off with you to the country.
one thing that effects people after a few hours going around is the jet lag and if you do not get that rest you will be nackered for the rest of your holiday.
Enjoy.

Dec 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Hi Tracy,

Same flight as you, March spring break in 2003. We elected to stay the first night in Dublin to get our "legs" for the new time zone. (Plus we were driving). Glad we did - stayed in Temple Bar area. We arrived in the morning, stored our bags at our place and saw Trinity College, Book of Kells, St. Patrick's, Christ Church Cathedral. Took a nice afternoon nap, ate in a great pub, listened to some music, back home to sleep and refreshed for our driving the next morning to County Clare.

I know it was only a "taste" of the city, but we're glad we did it this way.
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I know this is heresy - but while the Irish contryside is charming - and has many pretty sights - as well as some unusual ones - IMHO it is vastly oversold vs Dublin - which is a fantastic city.

But - it depends on what you want to do. For me Dublin's history, cultural institutions and neighborhoods are worth 3 days at least - vs the countryside - which after a while I found very green - and not so much else.
Dec 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM
mjs

I think that Dublin is a nice city to visit but find the most interesting parts of Ireland to be in the countryside, especially along the coasts. Having said that, I would recommend you take your first stop in Dublin as you will already be there, and it would be pleasant to rest a day before taking off to explore the island. I am in agreement with CU on this.
Dec 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Hi Tracy. We've flown in/out of both Shannon and Dublin and we're planning another Irish trip for this summer.

Dublin's OK, but it will probably be awhile before we go back. Much prefer Shannon airport and the west coast of Ireland, especially since you're looking for more countryside and less city. And that's not so terrible
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM

Nah , dont skip Dublin, you will miss all the craic if you do
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Some are now calling Dublin "world class"..may be a stretch, but it's certainly making the attempt. Been there four times and it grows on you bit by bit. I agree , it would be a shame to miss...easy to walk around, and yes, the craic in the pubs is unmatchable..just have a "brew or tew" and listen..friendliness and warmth everywhere.We like staying at Staunton's on the Green (low 100's room rates) across the street from St.Stephen's Green, a delightful park.
I suggest, out of your 8 days, spend two nights...then 6 will give you a good feel for the west..Connemara, Cliffs of Moher, the burren, Dingle and Ring of Kerry will be what you can take in within that time frame. Get a good guide book at Barnes and Noble///and off ye go!
Stu T.
Dec 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. We were considering spending the last night there but maybe we will spend the first night instead. It sounds like a great city and while we don't want to spend a whole lot of time there, we both decided that we would like to at least see it.

Thanks!
Tracy
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM

OK...now it sounds touristy...well..it is touristy...but I would have to say do visit the Guinness Brewery. It is completely surreal complete with cascading walls of water in darkened rooms with all sorts of weird things printed on the walls!

The bar at the top is super cos they give you a Guinness when you get there!!

Ok..flame me now for suggesting something like this!

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/ireland
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Much of this has been covered in this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34656627

Bob
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Don't skip Dublin..The hop on/hop off, a bit of a rest and eat at The Bank...Just off Trinity College and 1/2 block down toward the castle.. Reasonable and good. and the building is not only a good site but a very good sight..You won't have time for more but once you go to Ireland you return..this is a given..Need at least 3 days to do it justice..The south is lovely and Connemara area is just about as good asit gets..Have a great time but be aware... Layer...The dampness, even in March can be cruel...Have a great time..
Dec 13th, 2005, 01:57 AM

There is much better places to eat than the bank. Its a lovely old converted bank and I would say have a drink to look at it but I work nearby and never get a nice lunch there. Try the IF Irish Film Insr=titute in Temple bar. Good food and relaxed atmosphere or go to the Kilkenny shop upstairs on nassau street. Another suggestion would be off Nassau Street on S. Frederick Street try Brewbakers a cheap and cheerful coffee shop or Coffee Oasis the other side of the road or for a panni i and small pasta plate try Dunne & Cresenzi on both sides of Coffee Oasis